PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeastronomer

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2012
Boston MA/ Bethlehem NH
Well this tobacco is fantastic!
After having this tin for a month or two I decided to crack it open and give it a try. From the first smoke this was so far the best I have experienced. This is my first flake and I was not disappointed. I loved the flavor all the way down to the heel. The flavor was nice sweet and I overall a nice honest pipe tobacco!
I think this was the first time I actually enjoyed my pipe for the whole bowl. My only complaint is the that it burns really hot and I get a lot of condensation in the stem. I have to swab the stem many times with a pipe cleaner to keep the juice from getting into my mouth. Other than that it was awesome!
I fully rubbed this flake out prior to smoking and perhaps it could use a little drying to prevent the very moist smoke. But it was really really good. 
So my question to you all is this.... Please help me find more recommendations that I will enjoy as much as this wonderful flake. I already want to purchase a few more tins of this to make sure I have a nice supply. But before I do, I want to hear what you all suggest I try I addition to this sublime tobacco. If I like this then what else would you think I would like, or should try as a must?
I have tried several tobaccos, Captain Black White, Granger, Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, Hearth and Home Blackhouse,  Mac Baren Old Dark Fired, Mac Baren, Acadia Perique, and obviously 1Q and a few bulk blends.
I enjoyed all the above except the two Mac Baren blends I listed above.... I don't yet know if I like Perique, but I do like the Latakia blends at least in moderation.
So can you all recommend what I should try next? I really love this Dunhill Flake so I am dying to try more like it, but maybe a little different experience.
Can you help me?
Thank you all!!

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Pipeastronomer, I used to smoke primarily English blends, but I've been smoking a lot of flakes since returning to pipe smoking last year.
Besides Dunhill Flake, other flakes I especially enjoy and would suggest as "must tries" are Escudo Navy Deluxe, Solani Silver Flake, Solani 633 and Fribourg and Treyer Cut Virginia Plug. Escudo and Solani 633 are Vapers.
Other forum members will add more to the list, based on their experience but those are the flakes I have smoked the most this past year.
Dry out the flakes more before smoking them and smoke more slowly. The flavors of the flakes really come out when they are smoked slowly.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke quite a bit of Dunhill flake and have yet to get a tin that was not the perfect humidity, it has always come ready to smoke for me. If you are getting a hot smoke, it could be several reasons. One is that you dried it too much, another is that you rubbed it out too much( I prefer the cube cut method for all my flakes) another is you could have packed it too loosely and smoked it too fast. Another issue could be the pipe itself, let us know what pipe you smoked it in. When I cube cut my flakes, I always check the draw before I light up. What I am looking for is a bit of resistance, like sipping through a straw, if you are not getting that then you are packing too loosely and that will lead to a hot smoke. Smoking too fast will also lead to excess moisture, smoking a straight Virginia flake takes practice, you want to sip the pipe, not take huge drags.
As far as recommendations, try a tin of Escudo for a classic vaper and a tin of Solani Silver Flake, both are favorites of mine and readily available at online sellers.
edit: John, looks like we posted at the same time, great recommendations. lol

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
If you want something mild, I recently tried Astley's 55 for the first time, and it's a smooth, naturally sweet Virginia. Astley's 44 is a really good dark flake, but if you smoke that one fast, you might get a tongue nip. If you want to try a Virginia with perique, try Escudo, Limerick, or Virginia Spice. I could list a bunch of stuff, and no doubt others will, but those are a few ideas off the top of my head.

john218

May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Harris, you have more experience than I do in smoking flakes, so I would say my recommendation to dry the tobacco may not be the correct suggestion to follow.
By the way, I bought Fribourg & Treyer based on your recommendation and am glad I did.

I'm spending so much time exploring Virginias and Vapers that I hardly ever smoke by English blends!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
John, glad to hear you are enjoying the F&T. Some flakes need considerable drying like SG products but many don't. I have found through experience that if a flake is too dry it will burn very hot. I never need to dry any of the F&T flakes, one more thing to love about them.

john218

May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Rothnh, is Solani Silver really that pricey?
Most other blends are in 50 gram tins. Dunhill Flake, for example, is currently selling for $10.35 at Pipes & Cigars, so 100 grams of it would cost $20.70, while a 100 gram tin of Solani Silver is selling for $17.96.

john218

May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Point well taken, Roth.
I haven't purchased 100 grams from the others you mentioned, nor compared their prices to Solani.
I agree with you that Solani blends are worth the higher price.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Try some McClelland's Blackwoods flake and some Christmas Cheer, I love McClellands Va's the best.

alexl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2013
Cellar a good quantity of Dunhill Flake tins and open it after a year or more. If you like it fresh you'll be blown away then.
And try Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls - the best Va/Per money can buy.

pipeastronomer

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2012
Boston MA/ Bethlehem NH
Curious -- what did you order?
Well since you asked here is what I got, rather just ordered...
Dunhill Flake (2 tins)

Dunhill Navy Rolls (1 tin)

Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug (1tin)

Solani Silver Label-660 (1 tin)

Solani Virginia Flake-633 (1 tin)
That should keep me busy for a while... I have a tin of Orlik Goldend Slice at home I may crack out next. And a tin of Escudo as well...so as you see I took your suggestions almost literally.
Thanks again everyone....

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
pipeastronomer, everyone that you bought are favorites of mine and have some serious space carved out in my cellar, hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

john218

May 5, 2012
Connecticut
That's a great selection, Pipemaster; some of the best blends available.
I've tried all except Navy Rolls, which is on order, and enjoy them all.

Let us know what you think of them.
Happy smoking!

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I like Dunhill Flake very much since I can not take too much vitamin N and Dunhill Flake never has affected me. You may want to try McClelland's Matured Virginia No. 27 since this strong tasting Virginia is rather light in vitamin N. Finally, for a pleasant tasty Virginia with the taste of fruit try Erinmore Flake since is truly unique and easy to smoke. There are so many good Virginias available and most of the other suggestion may be great since I haven't tried most of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.