PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I bought a repaired Dunhill FE Tanshell and the stem repair required a metal band be used. Unfortunately, when they repaired the pipe, they cut off the year stamp, group sizing and the T. I was hoping to get lucky and the repair would have at least saved the year. No luck.
Obviously the pipe is made after 1954 because of no patent number. I currently have it dated as 1955-1969, but I was wondering if I could reduce that date range because the pipe is stamped FE instead of with numbers. Did Dunhill stop using the letter stampings prior to 1969? My documentation says the used the two-letter shape ID until the early 1970s. Coulkd this pipeDunhill FE Repaired Left Side.jpgDunhill FE Repaired Top.jpgFE F_T Pepaired.jpgFE F_T Repaired_2.jpgFE F_T Repaired_3.jpgDunhill FE Repaired Bottom.jpg

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
i am no expert but I would put it after 1961 as the made in england is on 2 lines (that is if pipedia is correct. no guaranteed)

1953-54: The Tanshell finish is introduced in 1953. As above but with the suffix3 or 4 after the word ENGLAND.

1955-60: From 1955 the patent number is no longer shown on the pipe.

1955 60 shell.gif

1961-70: As above, but with the line under the suffix number omitted. From 1965-70 the size of the suffix number is the same as the D in ENGLAND.

1961 70 shell.gif

Reactions: oldguyoldpipes
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
That's one handsome prince! I suspect that the band is a repair or a non-factory adornment since it seems to be covering the last bit of the Made in England stamp. If so, it looks to have been quite expertly done. Is there an AD stamp on the silver band? That's what I would expect if it was a factory band.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
That's one handsome prince! I suspect that the band is a repair or a non-factory adornment since it seems to be covering the last bit of the Made in England stamp. If so, it looks to have been quite expertly done. Is there an AD stamp on the silver band? That's what I would expect if it was a factory band.

Thank You. I do not see any stamps or hallmarks on the band. I bought it for the blast and was hoping to get lucky with the date stamp being visible, but like many of my Dunhills, they do not give up their secrets easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.