Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Where it really shines, and this has to be a credit to the makers, is it is one of the rare “VaPer” mixtures where I actually got the point of the Perique. It has an honest, pleasant peppery spice on the tongue!
Good insight.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Springtime = open-air plant bukkake.
I think the review is spot on. Elizabethan Mixture is not particularly exciting, but it has a wholesome goodness to it and avoids the silly extremes (too sweet or too pepper-fruity) of most Va/Pers. Another good one in this line is Irish Oak.

kyleweiss

Lurker
Feb 12, 2016
Reno, NV
www.pipesmagazine.com
Thanks guys.
Interesting Peterson's "Irish Oak" was brought up, I've been tapping into that one lately as well. I didn't want to do back-to-back Peterson reviews, but perhaps down the road I'll give it a write-up, because it wowed me a lot more than Elizabethan Mixture.
I empathize in sad pity any of you who are being affected by plant bukkake. There's no avoiding it. Fortunately for me, the desert sun will murder the fornication into a withered, dry end before too long. Then it's on to trying to smoke if any of it manages to catch fire on a large scale.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Kyle,
Loved the review. Keep 'em coming! (But: no pressure!)
I love Irish Oak and enjoy Elizabethan Mixture. You are correct to say it is not dynamic or exciting. Dunhill tobacco blends -- with the exception of the psychedelic and amazing Royal Yacht -- are supreme because of their choice of a middle-of-the road position, done very well.
EM will not launch any ships, but it might suffice for some twilight lunting. At least, for me, it does.
Any chance of a Cotton Boll Twist review? Good stuff, especially when mixed 60-40 with Royal Yacht or Straight Grain Flake, for me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been aging a tin for maybe two years, thinking to unfold the Virginia leaf in there, so I hope that might bring out dimensions not experienced by the reviewer. Eventually, we'll see.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
EM gets a bad rap. It's a medium-sweet Virginia with a touch of Perique. Not exciting, but a good all-day smoke if you like natural leaf and the dimensions within it. In my view, the bowl improves past the first 1/4.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I would say EM is DNR-Lite for those who don't have the finesse to pack or rub coins, and don't mind losing half the flavor in the tradeoff.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
It does get better with age. I like it and find Sutliff 1849 to be good to but I find my self reaching for mcelland 2015 to scratch my VaPer itch whilst the others age.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I would say EM is DNR-Lite
Sounds good so far. I always thought of it as Royal Yacht light. The 'Yacht has the plum topping instead of Perique, but that's only so they can pack in more of those Empire Virginias.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I happen to enjoy Elizabethan Mixture quite a bit. I was lucky enough to have a friend send some 3 year old EM and it definitely was better with age. Smooth and tasty plus the Dunhill ribbon is easy to pack and light and enjoy.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
On lighting up EM again, I think it gets a bad rap. It is a little too sweet for me, but that fades as the bowl gets beyond the first 1/4. It is a great all-day smoke. Mellow, unexciting, but also without pitfalls. Kind of like Prince Albert but with more oomph and Perique.

kyleweiss

Lurker
Feb 12, 2016
Reno, NV
www.pipesmagazine.com
deathmetal:
Cotton Boll Twist could be in the running for a write-up, though I'd have seek out a tin. At the moment I'm at the mercy of what my shop's distributors are able to get in--or if by chance I talk to a rep who has something new on hand. Also we're a smaller shop, and shelf space is limited. We'd carry it all if it were up to me (sans the Borkum Riff, which I do not allow into the shop...heh) but alas, we cannot.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
This thread inspired me to revisit this blend to see how I like it these days. I opened a tin over two years ago and I never transferred the contents into a jar, I just let it sit in the tin so I was expecting a very dry tobacco. I was very surprised to find the moisture level was pretty much exactly the way I left it, perfect moisture level for optimal smoking. Anyway, I agree that this blend is surely nothing to write home about but it certainly has it's place as a thoughtless smoke, something I would choose as I tend to my weekend chores around the house. I hardly get any sweetness from this one, I would consider it more of a savory blend with some mild spice from the Perique. I think it would be fun to play around and experiment with blending it with some varietals such as the previously mention Cotton Boll, in fact, me thinks I would like that, a lot. It serves like an OTC blend and could be an all day puffer when ya just want to light your pipe and forget about it.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'm still learning the profiles of perique and how it affects other kinds of tobacco, but so far, I don't find that perique necessarily adds 'spice' but rather dampens or softens the acidity (I think) of a Virginia, which can have a spicy impact all on its own, with how it plays on the tongue.

The perique I have is from McClellands. I haven't smoked it in pure form yet, but having added minute quantities to some blends I've made shows me that it mellows rather than sharpens the other varietals.

Considering that most of what we discuss in these various blends is, after all, tobacco, there is some underlying similarity of taste profile within any of it. Tobacco taste.

Also, I think maybe some of us confuse tongue bite with 'spicy'.

The interaction of a blend's ph value with your own individual palette and body chemistry is unique, and seems to change or develop, or (to be)learned by the brain to recognize and focus on the desirable qualities.

The flavor of any bowl of tobacco you smoke is dependent upon a harmonious interaction between physical and sensory realities unique to the moment, yet can be managed so as to become more predictable and consistently pleasureful.

Status
Not open for further replies.