PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
I have done a little reading about the new version of Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture, and general consensus among the crowd was that this blend was very light, which to me says "bland". I just cracked a tin of this yesterday and have had a few bowls of it, and I have to say that I am confused as to this blend being touted as "light". Even though the tin I cracked is very "young", there is still a lot of flavor to be had here. The blend is a very attractive smattering of light brown, copper and red ribbons with little shreds of black mixed in. Takes very little time to dry and burns like a champ, that very fine ribbon cut that I really really like. Initial taste is a very bold wheat type baked good sweetness and that little bit of a peppery edge from the perique. The perique is not here in large doses, but rather compliments the Virginia leaf very nicely and gives good depth of flavor. Around the mid point of the bowl, things really start to gel, and the Virginia flavors are really all over the map, everything from fresh baked bread to that little bit of a lemony, citrus edge, although I have a feeling that with some age that citrus zip will go away. The perique is always there in a very nice compliment, balancing that sweetness very nicely. This blend is also very smooth with little to no bite and the ash is very, very clean. All in all, I have a ton of this stuff on hand and am glad that I ordered so much of it because it is quickly earning a place among my favorite Vapers, some of the others being Dunhill Flake, Hal O' The Wynd, F&T Special Brown Flake, and Hamborger Veermaster. Also of note; I have absolutely no experience with the Elizabethan blend of old, so this review is solely the merit of the re-release brought out just a little while ago.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
I'm also smoking through a new tin, and find it to be very tasty. I think it's very light as in "bright" and toasty, not light in flavor.

Jul 15, 2011
I think it's very light as in "bright" and toasty, not light in flavor.
Maybe the folks in question just found it light compared to some of the other Virginias they smoke, which in comparison to something like F&T Special Brown or Hal O' The Wynd, is maybe a little milder, but this stuff isn't nearly as mild as some of the Hearth and Home or Peter Stokkebye Bulk Virginias I've tried. I'm just getting ready to sit down to another bowl of it as we speak.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Y'all nuts.
Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture ain't no damn good!
Now stop buying it before you drive the prices up!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's kind of a misnomer, the old English name for a Virginia Perique blend, but I'm aging my tin a bit and

heard good things about it and look forward to enjoying it. Just now I've gone wild with four different

burleys from the C&D collection.

Jul 15, 2011
Just now I've gone wild with four different

burleys from the C&D collection.
Did you get the burley flakes? I have two tins of the flakes, can't remember which ones, but when it comes to burley C&D is champ. Only other outfit that comes close is G&H with their Dark Birdseye and Kendal Kentucky which are absolutely fantastic.

Jul 15, 2011
Y'all nuts.
Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture ain't no damn good!
Now stop buying it before you drive the prices up!
I don't think any Dunhill blend is going to go the way of Esoterica or Wessex any time soon my good man. :wink:

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
It is a great blend. I picked up a tin reluctantly because so many people panned it, but it is one of my top 3 favorites at the moment. I liked it so much I got 10 tins to cellar. It just goes to show you, don't rely on others' reviews, taste is so subjective.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Over recent times, I have gotten C&D Pegasus, Old Joe Krantz, Dark Burley, Billy Budd, and Big'n'Burley.

I enjoy them all. Dark Burley makes a great mix with McClellands 5100 Red Virginia Cake. OJK is the

most complex; it really unfolds, but they are all good.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Hmmm, I have really enjoyed my other Dunhill tobacco experiences and I have a tin that has been in the cellar for about a year. I too really enjoy the fine ribbon cut that comes out of a lot of the Dunhill blends. Might be time to crack that tin open in the very near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.