PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Exactly
The limited edition. I think there was one on eBay, but I missed it a couple weeks ago.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ha-ha, trust the Brits to steal the Irish pipe maker's thunder. That's interesting that Albert Einstein

smoked Petersons. I think in those days, Dunhills were relatively expensive, but not at all like today.

Someone on Forums said they bought Dunhills for $22 in the 1950s, when Einstein would have been

alive. I think Einstein was paid well by Princeton (was it?), but he lost his yet to be received Nobel

Prize money in his divorce settlement, so I doubt he was investing big in pipes, just wanted a good

smoke. Wish he were on Forums; then we'd learn something for sure. I'd happily cede my place,

as long as I could read his posts. (I think $22 in the 1950s would be about like $100 today, a lot,

but not the $600 or more (or much more) Dunhill wants for a Group 4 pipe today.)

Aug 14, 2012
I was the one with a new $22 Dunhill. Things cost about 15 times what they did in the 1950s. (Remember the 15 cent subway token, $2500 full size Chevy and 20 cent New York Times? )That would be $330 today. The average Dunhill now costs about $500. Not that much difference.

Aug 14, 2012
Forgot to mention that a Peterson, comparable to a Dunhill, cost $18 in the fifties. Only $4 more, not enough difference to make Einstein smoke them for economy. Chances are he didn't pay as much attention to the pipe brand as we do.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Back in the late 1950's, my grandfather (mom's dad) used to send me a twenty dollar bill from time to time, and I would always write him a thank you note, as was required in my family. I'd forgotten just how much money that was even then. A few years later, I commuted to the city (Chicago) on $5/day, and saved a good portion of it for recreation. I should have bought a Dunhill!

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Here it is:
th

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Forgot to mention that a Peterson, comparable to a Dunhill, cost $18 in the fifties. Only $4 more, not enough difference to make Einstein smoke them for economy. Chances are he didn't pay as much attention to the pipe brand as we do.
He probably thought the difference was not relative....

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Smokingpipes has a couple of 5101's for sale right now. You can save 1,100 if you're cool with a blast and no special stamp .
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/why-albert-einstein-genius-theory-relativity-loved-pipe-180954991/?no-ist

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/england/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=185269

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
I will never own a $ 2000 pipe in this lifetime. I am sure of that. I just wonder, is the superiority of the smoke these dunhills deliver equivalent to the price difference. Or is it just a social statement of financial status. I mean, I have not driven a Bugatti, so I can not compare it to my VW, but I am sure it will be quite like going to Mars or something. But these are just pipes, and often times there isn't even gold or anything to account for the price asked.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
There's no real way of telling how well a pipe or taste without smoking it. In that respect every pipe is a roll of the dice and there are plenty of kilo buck pipes that taste and smoke nearly as good as a peterson.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
If I spent $1600 on a pipe I'd expect Albert's hand to appear and load the bowl for me.
:rofl: :rofl: that just made my day.
I will never own a $ 2000 pipe in this lifetime. I am sure of that. I just wonder, is the superiority of the smoke these dunhills deliver equivalent to the price difference. Or is it just a social statement of financial status. I mean, I have not driven a Bugatti, so I can not compare it to my VW, but I am sure it will be quite like going to Mars or something. But these are just pipes, and often times there isn't even gold or anything to account for the price asked.
good question. Luxury vehicles are manufactured for the ones who want to sit comfortably and increase their speed from 0 to 60 mph in 3 seconds. In winter you won't sit in a cold car because the vehicle will keep the optimal temperature inside the car, you don't have to put down the grocery bags to open the trunk, just extend your leg forward and it will open by itself. Dunhill pipes won't pack the bowl and light it up for you. What I believe is, expensive pipes are made out of the best briars you may get and hand crafted by pros. On the other side, cheaper pipes are mostly made from a good briar and made by equipment and barely hand touched. Social statement of the financial status thing. Regarding the smoke, an MM corn cob may smoke better than a Dunhill, but it doesn't mean that each corn cob will smoke better than each Dunhill. Expensive stuff are programmed to fail almost never, that is why too much attention paid for the manufacturing process. On the other hand, cheaper stuff are not programmed that way, though I have heard many people having same corn cobs for 30 years. By the way, Bugatti and VW are manufactured by the same company which is called VW Group and I own a VW as well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.