PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Balrrach

Lurker
Apr 6, 2020
Good morning!
After finding out that one of my pipes that I really like has a conical chamber and since I'm thingking to buy another pipe, I thought it might be a good idea to look for one with a conical chamber too. After reading some content I found out that Dublins and shapes related to dublins like Zulus usually have a conical chamber but sometimes not. I've been interested in a Dunhill pipe since some time ago but couldn't find anywhere if Dunhill Dublins and Zulus have or not conical chambers. Been the most classical brand that comes to my mind the logical answer would be, yes, they probably have conical chambers, but I don't know. Thus the question.

Regards

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Balrrach

Lurker
Apr 6, 2020
This sweet 1965 Dunhill shell 42 dublin is on its way to me
Great! That's one beautiful pipe. Waiting to know its chamber shape.
The Dunhill 42 is not often seen and Dunhill mastered the shape (almost) as good as Charatan did.
Beautiful pipes too although I'm not a fan of their double comfort bits aesthetically, can't talk about their comfort virtues since I never had any. Seems to me they took more freedom in their shapes too.

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll have to check my Dublins and Yachts. I always think of them as conical, but I bet not, probably some of each.

Balrrach

Lurker
Apr 6, 2020
What about shape 83 dunhill? Have you looked at it?
It is my second favorite dunhill shape., find it very elegant. In fact I've been doubing about getting a zulu instead of a dublin. I beleave their current code is 21.
The short answer is that nobody seems to know the answer to your question. Contact a Dunhill dealer to inquire.
Sure I will, just wanted to know if they all have the same chamber shape and, if that is the case, which one it is.
I had a Dunhill 4105 from recent production, which did not have a conical chamber.
Important information, thanks for it!. This means that at least some of them don't have conical chamber, thus either all have not conical chamber or it is mixed up.
Their zulus have cylindrical chambers.
I'm interested too for the Zulu's chamber but it seems to be at the same spot based on @chasingembers message.

Last edited:

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I have a pair of large Gr6 size ODA 848 Dublins that have a slight conical taper. I have other collection of large HT/XL “Collector” bent Dublins that have a more exaggerated flair and very cone shape chambers. IMO the more cone shape the chamber the harder it is to smoke. Keep in mind with any tapered pipe the wall is only as thick as is thinnest spot.

Balrrach

Lurker
Apr 6, 2020
I have a pair of large Gr6 size ODA 848 Dublins that have a slight conical taper. I have other collection of large HT/XL “Collector” bent Dublins that have a more exaggerated flair and very cone shape chambers.
Interesting, thanks for the info!
IMO the more cone shape the chamber the harder it is to smoke. Keep in mind with any tapered pipe the wall is only as thick as is thinnest spot.
I find them interesting. They might get hot on the thinner part(given it is too thin) but, since the dublin is naturally shaped conical, wall thickness should be mantained across the bowl and this shouldn't happen.