PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I still have some of this mixture jarred from before they switched to Peterson, It's made in the same plant as Escudo. I really can't tell much difference, Both great smokes,
I think the Dunhill/Peterson version is a bit better, being sweeter, richer, and perhaps a little stronger. That said, I like them both. Visually, they look identical to me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Escudo was a preferred tobacco of fish'n'banjo, the late great Forums member whose motto was "keeping it smokey." I sent him my tin of Escudo unopened in thanks for a Meerschaum pipe he sent, but I still have a tin of the Dunhill Navy Rolls I'm looking forward to popping. It has some years on it, so should be pretty good.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I can’t claim to be the most experienced smoker or to have a sophisticated palate but I tasted a difference between Escudo and DLNR. DLNR to me had a sweeter Virginia blend with a mellow sweet perique where Escudo had a Va blend that was grassy and sweet with a spicy perique.
That's pretty close to my experience. I'll add that NR is earthier and less grassy than Escudo. Escudo has more citrus than dark fruit, which is the reverse of NR. The toppings are not quite the same either. I know some years back, somebody did some sort of chemical analysis of them, and concluded both were the same. They are not the same blends, and I've smoked a lot of both the past twenty-some years (over 200 tins of NR, and about 100-110 tins of Escudo). The differences were a bit more obvious when Murray's made NR, and A.C. Peterson made Escudo.

Status
Not open for further replies.