PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I just started smoking this blend and so far I really love it and wonder why I never tried it before. Thanks Jim (jiminks) for recommending it over Elizabethan based on my criteria of strength and flavorfulness. With the buy-4-get-25%-off sale at smokingpipes, DNR was actually cheaper than its alleged clone Escudo. I read a number of people think DNR is a tad sweeter and less spicy, and that's more along the lines of my taste. Indeed I find DNR nice and sweet if sipped respectful of VAs tendency to lose flavor and bite if puffed too hard. And using the fold-and-stuff method I find gives a slower, cooler and more flavorful smoke with DNR than rubbed out.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Glad you liked it. I have a bunch of tins in the cellar, including a few from the Murray days. I like Escudo quite a bit, but I prefer the Navy Rolls. Happy smoking, buddy!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Probably will try Escudo when I run out of DNR, but with a dozen tins on hand that may be a while :) Tell you the truth I was never a fan of Perique, but that may have been because the B&M house blend I tried back in the day might have been over-Periqued. I'm very sensitive to spicy/peppery food too, even a little is too much. But Nightcap and now DNR are two of my favorite blends. My tastes seem to change. A month ago I was in love with Royal Yacht, but now I need to mix in a little black cavendish in order to be able to tolerate it. I'll try it straight in another couple months and see. Right now DNR fits my taste for a natural blend. I like them naturally sweet and not tasting like cigarettes.

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
Supposedly they are the same blend.¸I have smoekd only Escudo and I love it.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
They look almost exactly alike, but they are not the same blend. I can taste differences.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am a big fan of both blends and to my tastes they are definitely not the same. I also find the DNR to be sweeter and less peppery than Escudo. Last time I did a side by side looks comparison, I found the DNR disc to be larger than the Escudo. When I am in the mood for a less peppery flavor I go with the DNR.
I have yet to smoke any DNR that was older than 2 years old, but have smoked quite a bit of Escudo that was over 10 years old. The Escudo when aged is much creamier than when fresh and the perique has been toned down considerably and the Va's in it are much more pronounced with raisin and fig type flavors.
For those who enjoy both of these blends I highly recommend trying Solani 633. It is great tasting fresh with some nice honey tones, and when aged( 10 years or more) it turns into a pepper bomb similar to the original Three Nuns.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
DNR is one of my 'go to' blends, although I also have Escudo and enjoy that enormously. They're not the same and I agree with the taste and size comments above; smoke them both close together and you can tell the difference. I don't have the discipline to cellar either, although I know that I'll soon put in a big enough order to keep me satisfied while they age!
Andy

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
I'm smoking my first bowl of this. Can't find any fault at all. Wonderful tobacco and a great Sunday due to it too. :puffy:

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Still one of my favorites and still in daily rotation. Went through an Escudo period, and I like it too but it's not as sweet and rich in flavor as DNR, which to me is worth the price premium.

Status
Not open for further replies.