Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Okay was at antique store today and came across what claimed to be a 1915 dunhill for 80 bucks. pipe looked in awesome condition so I picked it up. Did a little research on my own and think it is a 1922.

stamped as follows

DUNHILL LONDON (left side)

Made in England2 (right side)

"inner tube"

patented March 9-15

Tweenacts
Is a tiny dunhill in cutty shape about 4 inches long and 1 inch tall with intact tube a bowl. The dot though appears to be a dark reddish color instead of white.

I'm petty sure that this was original stem as it matches perfect.
My questions are any one know what "tweenacts" is?

And did they have reddish dots ever by mistake, or would one discolor with time?

I have been googled to death today, so I was hoping maybe one of the Dunhill Guys may know something.

Sorry in advance, never been able to get pics posted here.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I always thought "tweenacts" was their marketing ploy for the small, quick-smoke pipes, i.e., for the intermission between the acts of a play or opera.

May 31, 2012
:
nEgZM4p.png

:​
The dots were ivory and would discolor over time.
SWEET FIND!!!!!
MAJOR CONGRATS!!!!!
:puffy:
Pictures Please!

:!:
Those bad boys are pretty damn scarce!
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/hermit-dunhill-london-inner-tube-pat-507853183
:!:

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
WOW! You just gave me more info that I have found all day. I REALLY wish I could get pics posted, tried to couple years before I finally gave up. But it looks just like that one on worthpoint ,but in better condition.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great pipe at a phenomenal price. Maybe this was a 15-minute smoker back in the days of universal loose cut tobacco, but now with the surge of flake (and plug etc.) this is quite a versatile pipe, a historical piece, and a Dunhill to boot, for eighty bucks. Bingo. I use the very small Old Dominion Chesapeake cob for the same purpose at bluegrass festivals and such, where it is more appropriate. For the opera, I guess I'd use my Peterson Belgique Rustique, but it's Dunhill for you! Mighty nice.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Easiest way to post images is to use an image hosting site. This one here www.postimg.cc just upload the file to, go to thumblink for forums 1

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Holy cray it worked...Thanks..I'm going to take some pics and put them up. Thansk to all who offered to post them for me.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
@Dr you might want to use something like www.photobucket.com instead, I just use postimage becuase you don't need to sign up for an account, but postimage puts up nice looking ladies on the bottom, photobucket is more if you're looking for a long term usage image host. Also you'll have access to all of your pics on photobucket, whereas imagehost it's more of a one time thing. So I'd recommend Photobucket, indubitably.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, the antique store flea market pipes some places must be considerably better than here (U.S. Southeast). I find very little at all, and never any name pipes, and not great prices on those. This includes a recent rove through a large state fairgrounds flea market operated on a weekly basis except during the fair. I think the "good pipes" show up regionally, where there have been sizable demographics of pipe smokers, and generationally, where these pipes have been given over because of death or advanced age, or just moves. The average garage or yard sale person, asked about tobacco pipes, looks blank, or as if I'd asked if they have a machine gun on offer. But I still look from time to time; you want to win the lottery, you have to buy a ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.