PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bamabanjo

Lurker
Oct 20, 2021
Did Dunhill ever make a cob pipe? Found this in a bag of 16-Dunhill estate pipes. Bowl has a briar plug in the bottom, but no markings. Many of the pipes are in Dunhill boxes, with receipts from the 60’s thru 80’s. Couldn’t find a receipt for this one.

Attachments

• 0FE13E3B-3EB3-452A-AB7B-CFF6C04C6BD0.jpeg
    0FE13E3B-3EB3-452A-AB7B-CFF6C04C6BD0.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 59

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I love it! Unfortunately, the stem itself does not even appear to be a true Dunhill, based on shape and bit. Probably a Dunhill lover just added a bit of charm and spice to his project cob.

I myself have added a cheeky white spot to some of my no-name pipes that I’ve modified, simply because I like the look.

I’m guessing when my time is up and my collection goes to the market, the next generation can be puzzled by my strange homemade Frankenspots as well ?

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Did Dunhill ever make a cob pipe? Found this in a bag of 16-Dunhill estate pipes. Bowl has a briar plug in the bottom, but no markings. Many of the pipes are in Dunhill boxes, with receipts from the 60’s thru 80’s. Couldn’t find a receipt for this one.
Made under contract by Briar by Lee for Dunhill. Unquestionably a quality pipe.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Made under contract by Briar by Lee for Dunhill. Unquestionably a quality pipe.
That appears to me, to be a tribute or homage Missouri Meerschaum pipe.

All genuine Missouri Meerschaum production is proudly stamped with a proper MM logo or sticker.

MM uses a special hybrid cob, and a distinctive stem, and a stamped metal ring around the shank, and white glue is used to secure the cob to the shank.

While nothing would stop an MM employee, especially a disgruntled one, from making up a lunch box special MM at home with materials snuck out from the historic factory, placing a White Spot on the stem of that cob pipe utterly destroyed any chance he’d have had to sell it as a genuine MissouriMeerschaum.

That pipe was never intended to be sold, as a production Missouri Meerschaum.

Perhaps it was commissioned by the ravishingly beautiful and shockingly young Argentine socialite wife of then Baron Inverchapel on his return to England after his recall, and before his scandalous involvement in the Guy Burgess affair led to his downfall which was soon followed by his untimely death, from some London concern.

From such a far distance in time as that was, it’s likely we shall never know.

But my White Spot NOT FOR SALE pipe is an excellent smoker with a terrible button that I’ve filed on to suit me.

Perhaps that cob will give equal smoking satisfaction.

But it’s not genuine MM factory production, for sure.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
That appears to me, to be a tribute or homage Missouri Meerschaum pipe.

All genuine Missouri Meerschaum production is proudly stamped with a proper MM logo or sticker.

MM uses a special hybrid cob, and a distinctive stem, and a stamped metal ring around the shank, and white glue is used to secure the cob to the shank.

While nothing would stop an MM employee, especially a disgruntled one, from making up a lunch box special MM at home with materials snuck out from the historic factory, placing a White Spot on the stem of that cob pipe utterly destroyed any chance he’d have had to sell it as a genuine MissouriMeerschaum.

That pipe was never intended to be sold, as a production Missouri Meerschaum.

Perhaps it was commissioned by the ravishingly beautiful and shockingly young Argentine socialite wife of then Baron Inverchapel on his return to England after his recall, and before his scandalous involvement in the Guy Burgess affair led to his downfall which was soon followed by his untimely death, from some London concern.

From such a far distance in time as that was, it’s likely we shall never know.

But my White Spot NOT FOR SALE pipe is an excellent smoker with a terrible button that I’ve filed on to suit me.

Perhaps that cob will give equal smoking satisfaction.

But it’s not genuine MM factory production, for sure.
You run a trout line long enough, you’re bound to catch a turtle.

• Haha
Reactions: Briar Lee