PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I've always been intrigued by the Dunhill Cavalier (and Il Ceppo's copy). I figure that even if it's a gimmick, it's still a Dunhill and would work reasonably well. Is the whole contraption besides the bowl and metal bowl attachment Ebonite? Or are the parts south of the stem some other material, like aluminium? Are those o-rings on the top and bottom of the vertical tube? If you have one, how does it smoke?
004-002-10283.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The White Spot version new is quite a price to pay for a pipe you might not smoke as often as others, and it has always struck me as somewhat theatrical looking, if you have a big big personality. But I have stopped to look at them, since they are certainly something out of the ordinary. They should hang easy for that Oom-Paul like bend. The SP page should have details on materials and weight, etc.
...Just looked on SP and found no Cavelier, but Iwan Ries has them, but no specs. I'd say that shank piece was metal, maybe aluminum or some kind of alloy.

Last edited:
Reactions: mingc

sleepy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2021
Spring Hill, Florida
I have one and Love it,actually I love most Cavalier shapes . The stem is ebonite the body of the pipe is Aluminum ,no O rings and let me tell you if you are a chugger and tend to smoke a little hot this pipe will reduce any gurgle and capture a lot of steam in the trap.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
To me I found the Dunhill Cavalier to be kind of a rube goldberg sort of contrivance. Sort of a "I can't make a Cavalier so I'll make a device and call it Cavalier". It smoked okay but it isn't the most elegant pipe in the rack. Try Jesse Jones or Ryan Alden if you want one of these.

Reactions: mingc

sleepy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2021
Spring Hill, Florida
To me I found the Dunhill Cavalier to be kind of a rube goldberg sort of contrivance. Sort of a "I can't make a Cavalier so I'll make a device and call it Cavalier". It smoked okay but it isn't the most elegant pipe in the rack. Try Jesse Jones or Ryan Alden if you want one of these.
Dunhill can certainly make a beautiful ,well smoking Cavalier body and bowl of Briar I own one and it is exquisite I also own the aluminum version

Reactions: kcghost and mingc

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
I can't speak to the Dunhill, but my Pietenpauw copy is just acrylic & briar. It takes a few more pipe cleaners to get it all shipshape, but other than that I can't say I've noticed any particular plusses or minuses. It's a fun pipe.
IMG_20211023_222122.jpg

Reactions: ron123 and sleepy57