Dunhill Buttons: Wasp-Waists To Devil Horns; Let's Obsess!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Rebounding off of George's post, I thought it might be of interest to compile some information not usually catalogued by the average piper. For example, Dunhill Fishtails.
George's '49 LB demonstrated very nicely what he calls a "Wasp-Waist." He mentioned that the examples of such a bit that he's seen have all been circa 1950. I have a Shell from 1957 that exhibits the remains (I say "remains" because it was unfortunately butchered by a "restorer") of what once was obviously a Wasp Waist. So now we have a working window for WWs of 1949-1957. That's a start!
Another category of Fishtail would be what I've come to call the "Devil Horns." The earliest example I personally have seen of a Devil Horns bit is a 1961 Tanshell. The latest I've seen is from a 1967 Bruyere. Here is a picture of the Bruyere with an outstanding example of Devil Horns.
img_4194-600x600.jpg

SO!
Friends, collectors, hobbyists...grace us with your specimens! Let's see pictures and establish timeframes for those of us who are stumbling clumsily along in the footsteps of Mr. Loring!

:puffpipe: :)

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
If you get enough response and etc., get in touch with Scott Thile to see if he'd like to add the info to Pipedia:
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Nothing like that in my small Dunhill group ('61, '69 & '71).
A great thread, I'll look forward to the pix.
And man, it strikes me that we are indeed a bunch of weirdo's!

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
Don't know if this Sasieni Fantail fits with your interest. I was going to post this as an example of a Sasieni. I grabbed this off the web last week. I don't have any other Sasieni pipes in my box. From doing my history on the net, the Fantail was patent in 1953 and apparently produced only til 1957. As I understand, the Fantail was a second line for Sasieni. This one has the number 170067 and the F on the mouthpiece. Hope this is somewhat of a Fish Tail specimen. Some of the Sasieni experts might weigh in. I have seen prices on the Internet anywhere from $80 up to $250 ! Might be worth my $9 !! Thanks, Hoppes

img_0397.jpg

img_0398.jpg

img_0399.jpg

img_0403.jpg

img_0405.jpg

img_0406.jpg

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Great shots of the Sasieni! And quite a unique look. Perhaps we should stick with Dunhills on this thread just for organization sake, but it might be worth it to start a Sasieni thread as well!

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Thanks Ssjones!
I think it would do us well to classify all types, therefore we might want to determine distinctive characteristics and form groups. For example, so far we have the Wasp and the Devil. The '52 Tanshell you submitted seems to me to fit into what looks like a mild Wasp. It doesn't have as drastic of a waist swoop like George's '49, but it still seems to fit in the family.

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
Sorry about the Sasieni post. Didn't understand that you were only doing Dunhills. Take my post off or switch it to a separate Sasieni post. Hoppes

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
It's my fault, Hoppes, I wasn't very clear. The Sasieni post may be somewhat relevant though, as it is in a relevant time frame and if they had a specific line for "Fantails," then that somewhat says there may have been a fad at the time. That may help us with the Dunhills at some point?

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
My question is, what is going on with the asymmetry of the "horns" of the '67 pipe in the OP? The taper, in plan, is quite different on the left and right hand side of that stem...

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Since we're speaking of stems, a quick digression...
One out of four ain't bad, right? Right? :lol: :lol: :lol:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-Of-Dunhill-One-Dot-Estate-Pipe-Stems/202128918991?hash=item2f0fd289cf:g:sxoAAOSwTEJaHiXI

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Hahaha George I noticed that too. I almost bid just for the one thinking I might be able to fit it on a little Peterson barrel I have. I've seen a Canadian Cumberland stem sell for over $30, so figured those would go at least that high and decided it wasn't worth it just to fiddle with.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Hoppes, you’ll find a darned near identical fantail stem on a Peterson belgique. Very comfortable design, no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.