PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
So I periodically see people posting that they just but a Dunhill pipe from there birth year. Seems like this idea has a cult following and I am interested as to why Dunhill is the specific company that people purchase for this? Also is there a specific Dunhill design or line of pipes that people are purchasing for this, for example Christmas edition? Or are they just finding any random Dunhill pipe from there Birth year?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hard to pin down most pipes to a specific year. You can come close, in many cases, but not to

one year. Along these lines, I posted a while back suggesting that more stamped info, like

maybe the location and year of manufacture, would be good on most pipes, but the difficulty

of stamping seemed to raise objections. My country pipe carver out on a foothills farm seems

to get his name and year on his pipes, but oh, never mind.

smokeystover

Might Stick Around
Sep 20, 2012
Yep. Since 1921, Dunhill has stamped a date code for the year of manufacture on all their pipes. None of the other classic pipe companies did this.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
rsuninv nailed it. Dunhill is the line by which all other a judged. I'd like to have one. 1952, but have had no luck finding one so far. It's just a neat thing to have.

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
One day I'll get me one of them Dunhills..

In the meantime I have a Butz-Choquin from 1980, but like others have stated it has no date stamp and I have to trust the word if the seller. At least it was from one of the forum's sponsors.

ahpui

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2012
I have a BBB 1973 Xmas pipe that has got the year written on it. I take that as my birth year pipe.

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
Almost forgot I have a 1980 Lake Placid Olympics Dr Grabow Adjustomatic. Smoked, but not by me. Not yet anyways...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
For a while I had been searching for my birth year Dunhill(1957) but after thinking about how I am really not that enamored with Dunhill's, I decided to give up the search. For the money I would have to spend for a nice one, 300.00 range, there are just to many artisan pipes that I would rather own that I know will be better smokers.

May 31, 2012
I've been having a hard time finding a 1970 Dunhill,

have seen tons of 1969, but my year is scarce it seems.
I did find a 1970 LB Shell at a shop in Italy, priced on the high side, so I skipped it,

later after looking around for a few months I decided to go ahead and get it anyway,

check back at the shop and it was sold!

:crying:
I'd like to find a Tanshell.

alex87

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2012
I too was interested in the reasoning, but for me it was because I was born and raised in England. The wife actually surprised me with mine for my birthday, so I can't take any of the credit.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I think the whole birth year Dunhill is a minor phenom overall. Dunhil is such an iconic brand and some members here wanted one and I think it just caught on. I am not even sure if it is a coveted thing anywhere else but this forum.
I actually got one myself but it honestly wasn't really on my radar. I didn't care that much, but when one came up that was in my preferred shape, I decided to go for it. And I was able to get it for $124, and it came to me in nearly mint condition, so it was a classic win-win. And I have to say, it is a superb pipe.
This is mine, a Dunhill 1962 Shell Briar:
dunhill62-1.jpg

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I had never heard of the practice either and learned of it here on this forum. Mine came to me as a gift and was a complete surprise. 1970 ODA Panel.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That is an extraordinarily beautiful Dunhill panel, that great old foursquare design that is a Dunhill specialty.

My birth year would be a rare item, because 1946 was right after the war when the pipe industry was just

recovering and beginning to get some briar from war torn areas, so I don't spend any time trying to track this

down.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I think half the fun is just trying to find one; the hunt is the most exciting part. I've managed to find three 1985's in styles I liked and usually it's just a matter of how much I'm willing to pay and I haven't settled yet. Although I had a bad taste in my mouth over an unscrupulous ebay seller who obviously outbid me himself with a seperate account when I was going to get a very good deal on one. I was not happy to see it relistedby the same seller the very next day. He was reported, but nothing came of it. Oh well life goes on and back to the hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.