PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
How do I start? I guess that the logical place to start is by comparing it with "My Mixture 965", and go figure, both are Scottish blends, both have the same composition i.e. Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia in this exact order, both are made by Dunhill so I guess they gotta be similar. Well, in a sense they are, with a few notable exceptions. First off - and I am starting here unlike other reviews I have written - with the taste, Aperitif has a very interesting sweet finish to it, unlike MM965 which is quite single leveled. To the naked eye - and here I am citing from memory, as I have no notes for MM (back then I didn't have a clear system in place), Aperitif seems to be a tad lighter in texture, possibly having more Virginia in it's composition, or possibly a different type of Virginia, which I suspect being the reason for the sweetness. The nose, well ... nothing out of the ordinary, a typical nose, somewhere in the neighborhood of your regular english/scottish - latakia making its presence known. Not sure what to say about that Cavendish, which I guess is dark masking the latakia on a visual examination, or it may be lighter and the dark ribbon in the blend is solely due to latakia. I might be tempted to say that although Cavendish may be the dominant tobacco - it is made out of a different type than in MM. I may need some technical help here - Cavendish is a way of making tobacco, and not a tobacco type in itself, so I guess you can make Cavendish from different leaf types. Smoking it .. yeah, we have the composition of your expected Scottish typology, but that subtle sweetness makes it quite a unique taste.
You haven't smoked MM965 yet? Well, than I will refrain to saying that you are in for a corpolent, but well balanced blend at the same time, with a mysterious sweetness that persists in your mouth once the first notes start toning down.
I would recommend this, and if I ever have a chance of running across this blend, I am seriously thinking about purchasing a few tins for long run storage. In my book, this is somewhat a King of Scottish blends, whereas MM is probably a jack or a 10.

slrichman

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2017
Little Rock, AR
I love The Aperitif. I was told it was a milder form of 965, which I love. But I find TA sufficiently different (I'm not sure why) and not so mild (good!) to see them separately. I like both. I hope they are available for some time to come.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
+1, Aperitif is a staple in my cellar. It's just sweet/sour enough w/the hint of latakia smokiness to make it an all day/season smoke. Get it while you can.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great recommendation on that one, and a good review. I have several sealed tins of Dunhill blends, but this tempts me to add this one.

Mar 29, 2016
I agree with madox07 Aperitif is a much better Scottish than MM965. In fact the flavor profile would be the one I would have expected from MM965, in theory a more refined and pleasurable mixture. The new MM965 really disappointed me especially when compared to the Murray's version.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
I smoke Aperitif from time to time. I have three or four tins in my 'cellar' too, which I add to from time to time. IMO it's a much underestimated Dunhill blend. I add my voice to those who sings its praises.
Mike

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Thanks for the review ,In the past I did lots of various latakia mixtures,but no more, I find them a bit too punchy and smokey

Yet I only have had experience with blends containing Cyprian Latakia,the Syrian may probably be a way softer experience.

ekert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2018
Will have to try it, I really like Dunhill flake, dark flake, and 3 year matured Virginias.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I didn't get much sweetness from the only tin I have smoked of Aperitif. I did get plenty of sour but the sweetness never really came through for me. I didn't discount the blend as I did enjoy it. Just didn't taste as I expected. I could be in the definite minority on this one.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
My first bout with pipes was in the 60s, and my Go-Tos were Aperitif, Nightcap and 965. These were all pre-Murray. Sobranie 759 was a long fourth. Never did care for any version of the Original in the white can, then or now. Although I got my 2nd pipe at Peretti's, I knew so little I would walk right by those delicious jars without so much as a sniff. I like the Oriental presence in Aperitif.
hp

les

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
I've tried both.....I found them OK but my uneducated, n00b palate couldn't detect much difference. Not my favorite blend, yet, although I am VERY fond of the English/Balkan/Scottish blends. I've got it jarred,so we'll see how it goes with some age on it.....although I guess I wouldn't expect that sort of blend to age like a Virginia..
CW

techie

Jul 20, 2018
Thanks for the review. I have an unopened tin of 965 and just today purchased a tin of The Apertif. Because of the similarities, I'll have to compare.

magicpiper

Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I’ve tried so many times to like Aperitif. I have at least four tins and haven’t managed to get through the first one. I’m always left with a funky aftertaste in my mouth that’s reminiscent of eating tootsie rolls out of the cat’s litter box. Sure, I know what you’re thinking. Sounds appealing enough but it’s not. Trust me!

Status
Not open for further replies.