PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Just tried this blend last night. Made the mistake of putting it in the biggest bowl I have.

At first light it is very nice and smooth, but never became interesting to me. Dunhill makes quality tobaccos so everything was there from minimal relights to no toungebite to nice cool smoke production .

One thing was very apparent was lady n. Wow , if tried on a empty stomach one might be in trouble.
Are there any full flavor tobaccos with less nicotine???
Dunhill 965 (quality tobacco with minimal flavor pizazz ) IMO.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Ok so I cant give very much of an opinion because I havent tried this tobacco, but it seems VERY popular. If I were you I would give it a few more tries, try it in different pipes and everything. Some of my favorite tobaccos I hated the first few bowls, escudo and orlik to name 2. I would say smoke 4 or 5 more bowls and really think about it.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
965 is a decent, middle-of-the-road English/Latakia blend. It's not a Lat-bomb like some Balkans, it's not an intro-English like C&D Consolation (OK, it's an Americanized English, but it's a pretty good intro). It's just a good, almost archetypal, English blend. I personally enjoy it in a smaller chambered pipe. Like a Dunhill Size 3 bowl which is 0.78 to 0.79 in. in diameter. Hope this helps!
-Jason

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Wish I would have asked about bowl size before the room started spinning. LOL

I have smoked many cubana cigars but this stuff WOW.

I will finish the rest of my tin and report back.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I tried to like this back in the Murray days because so many pipe smokers I knew and trusted loved the stuff. I just always found it to lack body and, as the thread title implies, beef. Nothing to sink my teeth into. And I have to agree, the nic content is too much for me. I made it through a couple tins and then made the decision to not buy it again because it's just not for me. Sounds like the new version is the same.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
965 used to be an old favorite of mine, and my first foray into the English style. I have several jars of it cellared from a few years ago. These days, I prefer McClelland Blue Mountain, and also Sutliff No. 5 blend, which has an ample Perique spice but a low nic hit.

slowpuffer

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2012
Over the years, I have read many different opinions about 965 due to the numerous changes in manufacturer of Duhill's classic blends. I have about a half pound on hand from what I believe was the Murray days. Over the years, I find myself enjoying this blend more and more. In fact, when I first tried it I thought it was somewhat awful. I think the fact that it is a medium, somewhat generic English blend is what makes me enjoy it. I haven't tried the latest generation of this blend and I have been out of the loop on what has been happening with the Dunhill line (I know that you could hardly find these tobaccos for a while). I would suggest that you set it aside and re-sample as you wish to see if your tastes change.

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
i really don't care for latakia when it takes the forefront--having made that clear, i have found that MM965 and Frog Morton (which i have never been fond of) come to life and are quite enjoyable when i put 'em in a rather wide bowled Prince--didn't like that pipe either until i found it liked these lat blends--it would seem; "all things work for the best" given some time and experimentation--
didn't note that much N with either blend, but then i stay dizzy most of the time anyway, so who knows?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I don't notice that much nic with MM965. It's one of my favorites. I also tried some EMP but didn't care for that at all, it seemed too harsh. I jarred it for a while and see what it smokes like in a few months.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I find that medium English tobaccos like Early Morning Pipe and Samuel Gawith Skiff Mixture do best with a bit of age and a good amount of drying time. They do seem a bit harsh fresh from the tin, but with some dry time they take on a beautiful soft high end sweetness and an incense like quality.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
A couple of suggestions - Look through the Pipeworks and Wilke website and see if anything tickles your fancy, and maybe try a couple of Hermit blends - Stimulus Package, Nightwatch or Ten Russians. Plenty of beef.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I like 965 in a cob or lite brier when I'm outside and have my hands busy doing something, not

really paying attention to my smoke. I also have a meer (I call it my beater pipe) that I smoke

outdoors a lot that 965 smokes well in. It seems to me that Latakia heavy tobacco's tend to

color a meer a bit faster....
TopD

Status
Not open for further replies.