PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Those hi-res photos are truly amazing.

The dichotomy of that gnarled asymmetrical stummel paired with the perfect black smoothness of the stem is pure art.

Lovely pipe and lovely work, sir. There’s a very happy owner somewhere. Lucky bastard. ?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
What a pipe and restoration. I thought that shape number was vaguely familiar. I did a 552 back in 2013, one of my early restorations. I'm no George Dibos! I foolishly sold it, because I thought it was a filter pipe, but it had the tapered tenon/metal straw. Wish I still had that one. Yours is probably the only one I've seen since.

Reactions: Bowie

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
The replacement stem work is superb. But I fail to see what otherwise makes this pipe so cool. The shape? The insides? The wood? The finish? The blast? It can't be the blast can it? I mean, between that and the Tinsky below, I know what I'd choose (and it isn't the Dunhill).
002-035-0650.7391.jpg
002-035-0650_1.7939.jpg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Very cool. Not sure it stacks up aesthetically to the alien lava dunhill you posted before, but still very cool. Nice work!

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
What on earth did you do to salvage that bit??????? or is it a new stem?
Amazing transformation, and cool pipe by the way. BUT TELL ME ABOUT THAT BIT PLEASE!

Isaac

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
What on earth did you do to salvage that bit??????? or is it a new stem?
Amazing transformation, and cool pipe by the way. BUT TELL ME ABOUT THAT BIT PLEASE!

Yes, it's a replacement.

The original was both chewed through and so deeply green that getting it back to black would have shrunk it noticeably.

The pipe's owner is a hardcore Britwood collector, though, not just pipe smoker, so he wanted a new one to be made instead of the old one patched and "downsized". He enjoys his collection looking (as much as possible) as if they were made yesterday.

A sentiment that makes perfect sense to me. puffy

Reactions: Bowie and burleyboy

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
OK, well thanks for the prompt answer. The stem still looks beautiful, but now in my mind its back to being a job done masterfully, rather than a miracle!

Status
Not open for further replies.