PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I posted a more detailed question on Pipe Talk, but was wondering if anyone can explain the 15- marking on my Dunhill 327 Opera?

Thanks

Attachments

• Dunhill Opera_Side.JPG
    Dunhill Opera_Side.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Dunhill Loop 15- marking.JPG
    Dunhill Loop 15- marking.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Dunhill_15- marking.JPG
    Dunhill_15- marking.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 7

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I think this old thread may have answered my 15- (really IS) question. Is this marking an indicator of an oil cured pipe?4557

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I think you may be misunderstanding that older post. I believe from context that the author of that post capitalized the word “is” for emphasis, rather than stating that “IS” is a stamp. He will be able to clarify for us. Good luck on your search!

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I think you may be misunderstanding that older post. I believe from context that the author of that post capitalized the word “is” for emphasis, rather than stating that “IS” is a stamp. He will be able to clarify for us. Good luck on your search!

Yes, reading it slower, your explanation makes sense. I now understand that post as saying the patent number on a Shell Briar is the oil-cured patent.
The mystery continues, which is both exciting and disappointing.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting that pipe stamping, which is supposed to identify and clarify, often is a mystery in itself. Be "nice" if stamps were simplified, uniform between brands, and in plain language, with numbers in a standard format. I think competition between brands enticed pipe makers to keep the stamps coded. Too bad. Not enlightened over the long term. Now they obscure rather than clarify information.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
Interesting that pipe stamping, which is supposed to identify and clarify, often is a mystery in itself. Be "nice" if stamps were simplified, uniform between brands, and in plain language, with numbers in a standard format. I think competition between brands enticed pipe makers to keep the stamps coded. Too bad. Not enlightened over the long term. Now they obscure rather than clarify information.

True, but it does promote more exchanges between us pipe smokers here on the forums. It's fun to interact with people and try to figure things out. Kind of what makes older pipes more fun to collect than brand new pipes. There's a history there that may never be fully understood. Pretty much like Life.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
Interesting that pipe stamping, which is supposed to identify and clarify, often is a mystery in itself.
The main intent of code stamping, on most of the older pipes at least, was to identify and clarify information to the production and distribution teams. Those guys knew exactly what information was being conveyed by the stamp.

Reactions: lightmybriar
Status
Not open for further replies.