PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Ok I know Dunbar is a Va/Per and Stonehaven is a Virginia/Burley mixture but I'm curious of what people's opinions are of the 2.
I recently came across some Dunbar. Like most Esoterica tobacco's it was very moist. After a good hour or 2 of drying it smoked really really well. In fact this is one of the first Va/Per's that I really loved. I found it to be very sweet and almost fruity. I guess that fruitiness comes from the Perique as it can tend to have a plum smell to it. I know Perique usually has a peppery taste to it but I haven't really seen much of that in Dunbar.
I was curious as to how it compares to Stonehaven as I just recently ordered a pound of the stuff. After trying unsuccessfully for probably 6 to 8 months I finally got some from P&C. I just hope that it really shows up or I could be putting my cart before the horse.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
I still have quite the stash of stonehaven after buying a package last year. I'll smoke it now and again but have never really gotten much enjoyment out of it. It has a very distinct steam rolled oats (anyone with a horse knows what these are) aroma/taste to me. It smokes well enough but always reminds me of the barn.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I really enjoy Solani Silver Flake 660. It's ready to smoke right out of the tin or in my case mason jar and is very good.
I'm curious to see how that Stonehaven is. I figure worst case I can sell it off for what I paid.
I'm really loving the sweetness of Dunbar. I'll have to try the others sometime if I can find it.
I absolutely love Penzance. So much so that when I start to crumble a flake apart my mouth starts to water. It's so easy to crumble between my hands and then I just let it sit for an hour or 2 to dry properly.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I've tried the bulk Dunbar before. It was back when I was perfecting my VA technique, so I feel there is more to be had from the tobacco then from my experience. That being said, Dunbar possessed a mellow natural scent / flavor that I have not really found in many other tobaccos. I have not tried Stonehaven, but from what I have read they are two different animals.

I would not consider this a bad thing at all. Other than the few comments in this thread, I have only heard good things about Stonehaven. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
If given the choice between Stonehaven and any other Va/Burley flake, I'd take the Stonehaven.

But since it's so hard to find, I don't spend much time hunting for it or bemoaning my bad luck.

There are too many other fine blends, easily available, to occupy my time. My takes on Scarborough and Dunbar.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll have to post my findings when my package gets here later this week.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
OK so I got my Stonehaven in. I jarred one bag and will keep the other bag sealed for now.
I'm not going to make a full blown decision after one bowl but I think I prefer the sweetness of Dunbar. The Stonehaven was good reminded me almost of a cross between Solani's Va/Bur and SG's FVF.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I have only tried two samples of 2 yr old Stonehaven. I feel its reputation is deserved. It is like Solani Aged Burley Flake only sweeter and IMO more satisfying nic wise.

I have not tried Dunbar so I cannot make any comparisons to that tobacco.

dunhillbilly

Lurker
Aug 3, 2013
I know some folks will think I'm crazy, but Stonehaven is not as great as I thought it would be. I find it to be similar to a Gawith Flake, Sam's flake in particular. It has the honey-ish smell and is not a complex smoke. Dunbar is quite a bit smoother with a slight fruitiness, dried apricots in my opinion. Dunbar is very similar to Dorchester, which I would prefer for its extra fruitiness. Stonehaven doesn't seem to be as luxurious, or worth the asking price, as the other biggies: Penzance, Pembroke, Dorchester, Dunbar, or even Ramsgate. Just my thoughts, of course.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I'll have to give Dorchester a shot. 1 month later and I definitely prefer Dunbar over Stonehaven. Two completely different smokes but I prefer Dunbar.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
You aren't joking that Reiner Golden Label isn't cheap. It's even more than Solani Silver and Hamborger Veermaster.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Dunbar and Stonehaven are definitely apples and oranges, completely different flavor profiles.
Stonehaven and ODF are much more of a similar style of blends with them both being Vaburs.
The White Burley in the Reiner is very off putting to my taste buds for some reason. I used to smoke it and enjoy it years ago but when I tried it last summer, I really disliked it for some reason. I don't know if they changed it from when I used to smoke it but I was pretty disappointed. I ended up giving it away to a member here and he enjoyed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.