PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I had to replace my furnace a few weeks ago so of course I pulled the old motor. When it comes to getting a motor/arbor extension how do I know if I need a LH or a RH? I was going to get the Jestco 6" extension arm but I am not understanding how to determine which one I need.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
It depends on the direction the motor turns the spindle. You always want the spindle to turn in the direction of tightening (think of the way bicycle pedals thread on). If the motor is pointed away from you and the shaft turns clockwise, you want a RH thread. And vice-versa.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
So if I understand correctly, the arbor piece is pointed away from me (the metal thinng sticking out from the motor). I turn on the motor and it spins counter clockwise. I should get a LH thread extender?

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Great ingenuity. The first time I looked at the furnace motor in my house I bought about a year ago I saw mine ran at 1750 rpm. I was itching for a buffer at the time and was tempted to pull the motor out and use it as a buffer. I would have been buffing pipes in the cold but I would have been happy. Wifey wasn't having it.

I believe ssjones has a furnace motor set up and he has outstanding results.

Those Jestco arbors are great. Fine company to deal with too.
Hey, PM coming at you peteguy.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I'm sure we'd love to see it. Post it up! My data connection is sub par so it's a rare occasion when I can post pics to the forum. I have a bunch of stuff I'd like to share on here.
For buffing wheels, a decent option is the Harbor Freight 8" wheels. They come in packs of three with a hard sewn, a loose flannel, a soft cotton and adapters that fit on the Jestco arbor for about $16. If you get two packages you'll be in business to buff to your hearts content. You'll have one of each for wax and the other to buff. Harbor Freight stuff is cheap though. Until the pads are broken in they will throw treads all over the place. If you want better quality wheels, I'm sure others on here have better options. However, for the money, the cheapy wheels do a fine job. Jestco actually has 2" wide wheels. I've had my eye on those.

Status
Not open for further replies.