PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
I've got 2 Savenelli's, both great smokers. The problem is that these pipes have gotten so dull in a relatively short amount of time. I'm not sure why these lose their shine so fast compared to all of my other pipes. Has anybody else noticed this with Savs?
I was hoping I could get some advice on how to bring these guys back to life and keep the shine maintained. I don't currently have a buffing wheel.
Is it necessary to buy a buffing wheel?

What are your favorite products to maintain a pipes shine?
olewaylon
[/url][/img]
2CBEB4F9-A149-4DF4-9D92-985D70F7902D-2616-000002C7C1559AEA_zps6e14fbb5.jpg
[/img]

I have some Savinellis that have kept their gloss, and some that are more of a natural luster. I actually prefer the natural luster, and I just wax them with bees wax occasionally. If it is important to you, you could wax them with a carnauba wax, but yes, you would need a buffer of some sort.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
Cosmic, how do you apply the Beeswax? do you prepare the briar with anything before applying the wax?

I either apply it when the pipe is warm from smoking or use a heat gun on the lowest setting. I just rub it in, let it cool down for a few hours and then rub it out with a very clean cloth. It leaves a semi-gloss but very natural looking finish, and the grain gets more pronounced with time. Be sure to remove the stem if you use a heat gun. And, let it cool overnight before inserting the stem back in.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Personally, I think that finish looks better than high gloss. I bought a buffer way back, but I mainly use it to keep carnuba on my vulcanite stems. I rarely/never put wax on the bowls. Wax will eventually build-up if you do that and make the bowl sticky/tacky, and while people say the pipe can still breathe with carnuba on there, I'm sure it reduces the "breatheability" (especially with layer after layer).
If you really want that shine, get Paragon/Halcyon -- you won't need a buffer, and supposedly you can bring back the shine after each smoke with a cotton flannel towel. By the way, those pipes still probably have plenty of carnuba wax on them. We fondle our pipes as we smoke them, and our hands (plus dirt/oil on our hands) takes away that high polish shine; however, the wax is still there (for the most part). After the pipe cools, take a cotton flannel towel and buff it by hand quickly (hold onto the pipe well). That alone might bring back some shine.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
No disrespect meant to Cosmic but I would urge against his recommendation. Beeswax has a lower melt point, which might make it easier to apply, but it also means it's going to melt/come off that much easier. I've handled many estate pipes that were treated with beeswax. They become a magnet for dirt/dust and other other grime. The surface is tacky. Since the melt point is lower, it never hardens like carnuba (or synthetic) waxes do, so as soon as you touch the pipe, the shine is gone (you've got fingerprints) and dust/dirt/grime stick to the pipe like crazy because the finish is "soft" (if that makes sense).
Beeswax is great for meerschaums, for stem tenons, for candle-making, but it's not good for the surface of briar pipes. Just my two cents.
No disrespect of ill-will meant towards Cosmic.
Honestly, if you're that concerned about your pipe's shine, send them to me with a check to cover return postage, and I'll put a fresh coat of 100% pure carnuba on the stems and stummels with my buffer anytime you want (for free).

No disrespect or ill-will taken, and I wouldn't say that bees wax is a perfect finish. However, it is how some reputable pipemakers finish their pipes. As long as you keep it well rubbed down, you won't have any wax on the surface, as in the thickly coated meers.
But, by all means if you want a free buff... as the gentleman offers. Carnauba wax is a much more durable, glossy surface.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
You may want to use the Dunhill buffing cloth. I use this cloth, which lasts longer than you would think, on all my pipes when I do a thorough cleaning of all my pipes every other month. This cloth leaves a semi-shiny luster and it does not last too long but is "natural" looking.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I will second the use of the Dunhill polishing cloth as well as Denicare or Paragon//Halcyon type briar polishes for keeping your pipes shiny. Both are easy to use and they do not leave a huge amount of residue.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I am not much in favour of the 'glassy' shine of wax plus buffing wheel. I do like the natural effect of a polishing cloth. But you will find what I now do with my smooth pipes weird, if not positively disturbing.
TAB mentioned that we fondle our pipes when smoking them. Carleton Hacker in his authoritative "The Ultimate Pipe Book" recommends rubbing the bowl with oil of your forehead and side of the nose! With time this imparts a natural sheen and enhances your relationship with the pipe.
I have found that this works really well with the finest grained smooth briars. Bonkers or what!!
Be careful however that nobody catches you at it. Her Indoors saw me do it once and gave me a look like I had been caught abusing my pipe!! I now do it secretly, but the results are most satisfying!!!

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
I have a question on buffing. When buffing a pipe can you use a standard buffing wheel from a hardware store or do they require a a lower RPM? Can any permanent damage happen buffing at too high of speed?

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I've heard it said buffing be at lower speeds....but an actual buffer should be okay. Grinding wheels are too fast, some say. You can over buff and potential damage rims, etc....also, the buffer can "grab" the pipe and send it flying so be careful!
If you search around here, there's some good advice, including a video by J. Alan.
Like I said, Halcyon can get you some shine with hand buffing. As good as a factory carnauba wax? No, but for $10 and no equipment it's not bad. Apply sparingly, let dry for a minute, then elbow grease 'er to a nice shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.