PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TimeKiller

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2021
Texas
I keep a really accurate hydrometer running in my living room at all times. Currently reading 58.7%. If I leave my tobacco out to dry, as commonly recommended, it would probably double in weight Haha!

As I've started to notice a bit of sizzle and bite at the end of my smokes, I was wondering if any of you fine folk might share some tips for drying it out a bit that leaving it out in the open air while I grab a coffee/bourbon won't quite work.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Dude 57 is good imo. I hope for days like that. The RH here at the moment is like upper 80s. Days like today i put my tobacco on a little saucer and place it on top of a lamp shade. Drys it out in pretty short order

Reactions: TimeKiller

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
8 seconds in the microwave works for me if I'm in a hurry. Otherwise, letting it sit out in a bowl for several minutes to hours prior, depending on the relative humidty.

Reactions: TimeKiller
1617820485284.png
They sell these things as both candle warmers and coffee warmers. I have one setting everywhere in my house and workshop that I tend to sit, to keep my coffee warm. They will also help to dry out your tobacco really well. I am in 98-100% humidity Alabama, so just leaving tobacco out just makes the tobacco more wet. I totally know what you mean.

Last edited:

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
My fingers are my hydrometer, and haven't failed me yet. Since the weather is getting warm and humid, it takes about twice as long to dry. Might also have to do with the fact heater is off.

Oh. Read the post again. I just leave mine on paper dish and look at the pipes, Peterson, on SP. Usually, I end up drying longer than I want to.

TimeKiller

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2021
Texas
View attachment 74148
They sell these things as both candle warmers and coffee warmers. I have one setting everywhere in my house and workshop that I tend to sit, to keep my coffee warm. They will also help to dry out your tobacco really well. I am in 98-100% humidity Alabama, so just leaving tobacco out just makes the tobacco more wet. I totally know what you mean.
Ohh damn that's a really good idea! I actually already have a few of those and use them intermittently for keeping my coffee fix working all day. Thank you, that is great and I never would have thought of it!

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Ohh damn that's a really good idea! I actually already have a few of those and use them intermittently for keeping my coffee fix working all day. Thank you, that is great and I never would have thought of it!
FWIW, in a fix, I have put tobacco in an unused coffee filter and nuked it for 8 seconds. It works, just let it cool for a few minutes after nuking, because this is when it is drying. But, I much prefer to use the coffee mug warmer.

I usually just leave a whole tin out to dry on these warmers after popping it. I see no reason to just dry one bowl at a time. It's just a hassle doing it that way. I will sometimes let a tin or jar set on it all night long. I like a really crunchy dry on most Virginia blends.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I see no reason to just dry one bowl at a time. It's just a hassle doing it that way. I will sometimes let a tin or jar set on it all night long. I like a really crunchy dry on most Virginia blends.
I ruined a few tins that way. Maybe because it was burley. Virginias obviously don't loose much flavour if any at all.
It seems that smoking a crispy dry tobacco that was still fresh yesterday will taste better than the one from the tin dried a week or month ago.

I ruined a few tins that way. Maybe because it was burley. Virginias obviously don't loose less flavour if any at all.
It seems that smoking a crispy dry tobacco that was still fresh yesterday will taste better than the one from the tin dried a week or month ago.
With a burley, I just dry it also, but just before firing up my pipe, I will blow through the chamber to let my breath moisten it just a tad. Tobacco is bone dry after the farmer cures it, and sometimes remains so for quite a while. Tobacco can be dried and rehydrated many times before a blender gets it. I don't find that dried tobacco loses flavor, but some do, and I chock that up to smoking styles and such. But, a tobacco can stay dry for a very long time. Maybe after a year or so the volatile oils will dissipate after cell walls get broken down, but that's way beyond how long a tin or jar will last me after opening it. YMMV