PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Is there any value in keeping a log of preferred drying time by blend/tin, perhaps writing it on the tin or ball jar?

For those of you who have lots of different blends and want to plan out a bowl or two for a particular time of day vs. just being available ‘when it’s ready;’ is there any value to keeping track of how long it took each blend to dry to its desired level so you’re able to have it dried appropriately for when that time rolls around?

If so, how do you keep track? If not, do you just hope for the best and enjoy what you end up with?

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I write down my drying time per blend in a list I keep on my phone.

I also have done it by feel, but now I have very limited time to smoke, so I need to know how many minutes or hours before my scheduled smoke to take some out of the jar. And with over 80 “open” jars there’s no way I can remember them all.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I write down my drying time per blend in a list I keep on my phone.

I also have done it by feel, but now I have very limited time to smoke, so I need to know how many minutes or hours before my scheduled smoke to take some out of the jar. And with over 80 “open” jars there’s no way I can remember them all.

This is exactly what I’m talking about. Curious for the folks who have tons of blends and operate on limited time.

Thanks!

Reactions: Pipelady20

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
It definitely kills the romance of the thing, but when you don’t have the time, beggars can’t be choosers. I’d much rather just stand and survey the cellar when it’s time, and pick at whim. One day.

For sure. I'm obviously very new to this. I'm just realizing that of the three blends that I have with me at work, they take different amounts of time to dry. One of them takes over a day and one of them is good to go in a couple of hours. This is, of course, assuming I know what I'm doing in regards to drying them.

At any rate, I only have 2 opportunities a day to smoke and if I don't set them out at the right times, I'll end up with tobacco that's either too wet or too dry.

Fast forward to when I get home where I've got 50+ blends waiting on me, even though I'll probably take forever to touch them all, I was just wondering about some type of log so I know how to prepare when I revisit them.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Jpmcwjr puts hygrometers in his jars. Once one discovers the right humidity level at the temperature in which the jar is stored, you can dry out the whole jar to the right level. Then there’s no dry time at all.

It’s an attractive thought. Although, with the time I have available I haven’t the time to implement this time-saver.:LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: jpmcwjr and rushx9

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Yeah, I don't fool with logs and the like, and I don't think there would be much point for me.

I pack a lot of pipes ahead of time, which cuts out the wait time. It doesn't work for every blend, but it's good for many flakes and even some ribbon-cut blends. I just stuff some, say, Irish Flake in a pipe the night before and put on a wind cap to slow down air flow a little bit. In my conditions (very low humidity in winter), it works perfectly for me. Maybe this would work for you too.

But, as with most things in pipe smoking, it's just trial and error, and there aren't really any shortcuts. After I did it a couple thousand times, drying and packing became pretty much automatic, but I still have to figure it out for each new blend I get.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I rely on the reviewers at Tobacco Reviews. Most of them have a lot more experience than I do.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
Is there any value in keeping a log of preferred drying time by blend/tin, perhaps writing it on the tin or ball jar?

For those of you who have lots of different blends and want to plan out a bowl or two for a particular time of day vs. just being available ‘when it’s ready;’ is there any value to keeping track of how long it took each blend to dry to its desired level so you’re able to have it dried appropriately for when that time rolls around?

If so, how do you keep track? If not, do you just hope for the best and enjoy what you end up with?
I use a log. I capture Pipe, Tobacco, Drying Time, Packing Method, and eventually Notes on that particular smoking experience. I very much expect it's something I'll abandon with experience. Then again, I'm definitely an A-Type personality and have a spreadsheet for everything. ?

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
As @chasingembers hinted at, if you are not also monitoring and recording relative humidity and temperature, then you would be wasting your time. Way too much work IMO.

Technically, drying your tobacco to the ideal moisture level is a science, but in practice, it feels more like an art. If you continually gauge tobacco moisture content by touch alone, you will get able to get consistent and repeatable results without worrying about the technicalities of the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.