PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Agree with packing being more critical than drying. I like my tobacco as it comes moist from the tin. I think it tastes richer.

That being said, I only draw on my pipe during lightning and even then, gently and just enough to draw the flame to the surface of the tobacco.

During the smoke I puff gently twice and on the 3rd chew the smoke and very slowly let it escape nose and mouth simultaneously, enjoying the taste.

As for packing. At all points during loading your pipe the tobacco should feel springy to your finger. Load in small pinches and don’t press too hard, it should always spring back.

The important part is that the tobaccco is in contact with itself all the way, so that it can continually burn. You keep the ember in contact with the yet unburned tobacco during the smoke with your tamper. Just the weight of the tamper is enough. If you press it too tightly, it will go out and or you’ll tighten your draw.

Take your time. It’ll come automatically with practice.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, lots! Maybe even too much!

Whoa. First a bunch of "dry it more" then a shift to "packing is more important." Both are important, but if at the right moisture level, no technique is required to load your pipe. (Exceptions: Rope, flake, coin.)

OP. don't despair! It's not as hard as some make it out to be.

Dec 6, 2020
Portland, OR
Thanks everyone, there's lot of good points to explore here. It’s interesting to see how different people think about this.

I don't smoke a lot of aromatics, most of what I'm smoking are english/balkan/oriental mixtures. I don’t have too many problems with ribbon cut blends, but Lately I've been exploring plugs and flakes a bit and that's where the drying question comes in. It seems like a lot of the flakes and plugs are packaged with more moisture and while drying them feels intuitive to me some people talk about smoking certain blends that Seem super moist right out of the tin. I’m just curious how they manage without relighting the bowl constantly.

admittedly I’m not especially patient with this kind of thing and should probably just enjoy the process of figuring it out.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It seems like a lot of the flakes and plugs are packaged with more moisture and while drying them feels intuitive to me some people talk about smoking certain blends that Seem super moist right out of the tin.
This is where experimentation becomes part of the process and hopefully, fun. Regardless of what anyone expounds, try out different levels of moisture, different levels of packing, etc. That's how you learn to get the most from the blends that you smoke. It's not difficult, just try it.
I know what works for me as I've spent considerable time experimenting with each new blend, different packs, different pipes, etc. Now I have a working method, one that works overall with an occasional tweak here or there for the needs of a specific blend. It's so natural it's pretty much unconscious. Some of the suggestions that people make haven't worked for me in the least, and I learned them to be complete crap, but I tested them out before either adopting or discarding them.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Having to keep your pipe lit is an overrated myth , slow down relax and enjoy , don't worry bout how many times you have to relight , over time you will work out what's good for you ,
That's true! I don't light my pipe at all! The tobacco does not have to be burned. I've been working on the same 2 oz of 1-Q that I bought in 1972! ?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yes, lots! Maybe even too much!

Whoa. First a bunch of "dry it more" then a shift to "packing is more important." Both are important, but if at the right moisture level, no technique is required to load your pipe. (Exceptions: Rope, flake, coin.)

OP. don't despair! It's not as hard as some make it out to be.
and if they keep trying things people recommend they'll eventually find their sweet spots and also how they enjoy a pipe the best too.