PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Quicker: Rub first, dry second.
The question presupposes you won't be smoking them un-rubbed, but you may want try the other; dry thoroughly and then fold and stuff.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I've yet to figure out why folks purchase perfectly fine flake tobacco and then rub it out to smoke it. If you want a ribbon cut, purchase a ribbon cut and save the effort.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've yet to figure out why folks purchase perfectly fine flake tobacco and then rub it out to smoke it.
Because not all blends come in ready rubbed?
What's the best way to dry flakes and coins prior to firing them up: rub them out and dry them, or dry them and then rubbing them out?
Cube cut and gravity fill. Drying becomes unnecessary.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I've some SG Navy Flake that I cut into tiny cubes. Guess I should revisit them. :puffy:
Gravity fill is really loose 'packing' (or no packing at all, rather: last time I had that blend I accidentally knocked the hand holding the pipe against the shift stick and there was a rain of navy flaked confetti all over the front seats).
Thanks, fellas.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Gravity fill is really loose 'packing' (or no packing at all
You got it. Just drop the cubes in the bowl, tap the pipe with your knuckles to settle them, and light up. :puffy:

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
+1 to cube cutting here. I cube cut what I’m going to smoke the night before and let dry overnight. I like to leave the flake in its unadultered form until I’m ready to use as it seems like they retain their moisture better that way until ready to use.
I used to leave a flake out overnight to dry, and cube cut right before I smoked it, but I wasn’t satisfied with the moisture by end-bowl. YMMV. Cube cutting the entire tin upon opening, then storing in a jar, works well too (then just dry what you need beforehand).

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I've yet to figure out why folks purchase perfectly fine flake tobacco and then rub it out to smoke it."
When I rub out flakes I make sure I don't rub too much so as I get a very coarse and chunky cut which is not a million miles away from cube cut.
Regards,
Jay.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
So far I prefer to dry a flake completely and just shove it in. I haven't tried it with SG flakes yet and I suspect they might be difficult to light like that.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Dry, dry, and dry some more. Then pack some loose tobacco on the top. Fold and stuff is the only time I push hard on the tamper.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Soft flakes like Capstan Blue Flake I will fold and stuff with no extra drying as for me the moisture level is perfect. Flakes like Samuel Gawith Full Virginia flake I will cube into small cubes and let it dry for an hour or two. I use a 3 to 4 step filling method where I pack the pipe to the point where there is some resistance. Too loose a pack and it will burn too hot for my tastes. I always check the draw at the third fill then add more if needed.
For coins I will either just fold a couple and stuff them in or cut into large pieces, all depends on mood. One thing I never do is rub out my flakes. I buy flakes because they smoke cooler and give me more flavor than any other cut of tobacco. I am not a fan of ribbon cuts because of the way they burn.

raybrown55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2017
With well behaved flakes, like Mac Baren flakes and Capstan, I simply rub out, but with Samuel Gawith's and McClelland's I put the flakes in the grinder and go until I get very little chunks, then I gravity feed so that, even being a very slow puffer, I can smoke without drying (which bores me) and without relighting every two seconds...

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
Roll, rub a bit, dry if I have a wet -ish feeling by touching the flakes/coins then very loose fill (gravity with very soft tamp at the end). Sprinkle some well rubbed and dry tobacco on the top and fire it up :)

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Remember reading a thread regarding the flame retardant nature of FVF and the best way to prep and pack it. The method of using the microwave for 5-8 seconds was mentioned. I first thought that sounded a little crazy but tried it and do it a lot - with many different flakes. I don't usually want to think too far ahead about what I'm going to smoke in order to set it out to dry, so this works out well for me.
Other than that, cube cutting and gravity filling works pretty well but I still have to be careful not to scorch the roof of my mouth if the flake is on the wet side.

Status
Not open for further replies.