PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JohnnyRockets

Lurker
Sep 1, 2022
Tecumseh, Michigan
Hi all,

I've heard it stated that drying aromatics out was (maybe?) a good idea?

If so, how long would you dry them and in what way?

Spread them on a paper towel for a few days?

Sorry, I'm a newbie and all of this stuff might sounds pretty ghastly, but I'm learning from you all so thanks!

JR

Reactions: Servant King
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
It depends, the best way is to experiment with the ones you find you like.

Some, will never dry if they are coated up in PG. I’ll usually do 15-30 minutes on the couple I really enjoy as I want some of the wet edge to be taken off, but still want the topping too. Just pack very light to help counteract it being a bit wet.

Reactions: crashthegrey

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Thanks guys!

What is gravity fill? I think I know by the name but...
Dropping the tobacco into the chamber a little at a time and tapping the pipe on your palm to settle it. Continue the process until full and only use the weight of the tamper when tamping.

Reactions: TN Jed

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
We have to throw Ambient Conditions into the equation, because in a more humid environment, it could take a half a day or several hours to dry out some blends.

Where I live, the aros I smoke, most of them take around 4-6 hours to dry, to be at a reasonable level of moisture and to even burn.

No one recommends smoking any blend to moist.

The best way I’ve heard it described, when you want an ideal amount of moisture, is to take a pinch between your thumb and index finger and give a squeeze, it should lightly clump together, but falls apart when you let go, you can feel a light amount of moisture.

Also, there’s nothing wrong with drying tabac out really crsip.

Experiment and see what works for you, and you’ll also find, different blends work best dried differently, it’s not like you’re going to dry every blend the same.

Enjoy! ❤️

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
A lot depends on your location's relative humidity, so we can't really give you a given time.

Also note, that aromatics shouldn't be dried to bone dry, lest they lose flavour.

I wouldn't obsess too much about drying them—even goopy Sutliff's Creme Brulee will light OK, it's just you'll have to relight more often. No big deal, unless you're still dealing with tongue burn issues.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It's aromatic. Who cares?
The majority of tobacco buyers. Non aromatic tobacco is a niche market.

Also note, that aromatics shouldn't be dried to bone dry, lest they lose flavour.

I haven't found that to be true at all. Long term being that dry maybe but not freshly that dry. Some aromatics such as D&R's London Dock come that way and they're fine. Did you just say lest?

Reactions: warren

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
Just a little tip I want to throw in:
In local forums and texts I've often read about people putting pieces of sepiolith/Meerschaum into the chamber as a bedding. It's supposed to soak up a lot of the moisture the wet aromatics give off.
I've seen those pieces for sale online and I don't have any personal experience with them but if you should have problems with a gurgling pipe I'd say it's something to think about. Happy smokes!

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Yes...2 or 3 seconds works for me.

giphy.gif

RudyH

Might Stick Around
Sep 1, 2022
Wisconsin
Hi all,

I've heard it stated that drying aromatics out was (maybe?) a good idea?

If so, how long would you dry them and in what way?

Spread them on a paper towel for a few days?

Sorry, I'm a newbie and all of this stuff might sounds pretty ghastly, but I'm learning from you all so thanks!

JR
A tip I use when the tobacco appears to be smokably dry and I have smoked some of it: If there is a lot of moisture in the pipe and if the tobacco needs to be re-lit often, then I dry it some more. If I want to keep the partially smoked tobacco that's already in the pipe, I just set the pipe aside and re-light it about an hour later.

There's a lot to be said for having a humidor and a hygrometer. In my case I mostly use airtight plastic storage boxes with Boveda 72% 60 gram humidity packs. Having stable moisture content is a big help in maintaining consistent tobacco quality. This method keeps all of the tobacco in the box at a particular humidity level. If you prefer to keep individual tobaccos at their own individual humidity level, then that's when mason jars are a big asset.

I use both mason jars and the plastic boxes.

My plastic box of choice is the OXO POP container, which is a good choice if you only have a small amount of tobacco to store, like five or so tins. They're expensive, like $20 each for the model that's big enough to hold five pounds of flour.

I use the plastic boxes to store opened tins. For bulk tobacco, I use the mason jars.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Drying tobacco blends is often a good idea. It's not needed with leaf like Semois or Five Brothers which is already plenty dry. However, some aromatic blends are so moist, it is almost impossible to dry them out, and some of those smoke pretty well anyway. I have a bit of 1-Q in a small jar that has been around for years and is till pretty gooey, but on the rare occasion when I smoke a small bowl, it lights up and stays lit. I keep it like the people who nail a Hostess Twinkie to the wall and admire its immortality.

Reactions: fireground_piper

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
A blend like Molto dolce you can leave in it's original can for a year or so. so. If you want the snap crackle and pop no need to wait.

For some bizarre reason I get a kick out of the sounds Molto Dolce makes. It just reminds me of Rice Crispies. I find it brings me back to a simpler time. Yeah I know I have mental issues. You would to if you did what I did in the 70's and 89's. I had to look at my drivers license to give my address to an insurance company. That was a tad depressing.

Last edited: