PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jservant98

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2013
Southern Oregon
I have been buying my tobacco at a local smoke shop, I purchased some McC very cherry and it is really dry and very little flavor at all, it was bulk, also I purchased a pouch of Middleton's cherry blend, very little flavor! Both have virtually no flavor! I have been smoking aromatics, Seven Seas Royal seemed to have a good amount of flavor, the McC is really dry though. I think that smoke shop has old product so I did a TAD order with PipesandCigars. I had purchased some CBW and enjoyed it pretty well. Has anyone else had experiences with dry tobacco? Is there a cure....LOL

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
You could rehydrate it with the usual methods (humidifier discs, damp paper towel over the surface, putting the tin/small plastic container in a closed larger plastic container with water at the bottom,...), but with aromatics most of the flavor wil be gone. You can try it, it only costs time, but I bet after rehydrating you will toss it anyway, but who knows.
Kind regards,

Peter

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Boveda makes 62% RH packets that will, in a sealed container, bring your tobacco up to something near correct moisture content without risking getting it too wet. Google or eBay search on Boveda 62%.
Keep in mind that the Boveda packets are two way, that is, they will evaporate their contents if the RH is below their rating, and they will absorb water back in if the RH is above their rating. So a dried-out Boveda can be rehydrated by putting it in a sealed container with a wet sponge or the like.
Otherwise, as Peter already said, the volitiles that make up the "aromatic" portion of the mix may have already left the building. This gives you a chance to add your own flavorings, like Cognac or Kool-Aid. :wink:

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Russ, at Pipes and Cigars dot com says something to the effect: ...after you fill the bowl, breath (exhale) into the pipe...it should be enough to rehydrate the pipe tobacco in the bowl.
My advice: rehydrate pipe tobacco in as little batches as possible, like Russ says in a bowl by bowl amount, and mix pipe tobaccos together only is a single bowl size amount.
Less crying later.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
just rehydrated some tobacco using an old method from the 50's when i started smoking - it adds a bit of flavor but if you intend to toss it - try -
in a small mason jar with the tobacco place a piece of apple in with the tobacco but separate it with a small piece of tin foil as not to contact the tobacco creating mold - over time the apple turns brown but it is still working - after each week open to test the tobacco for moisture - flavor will partially come back with a bit of apple flavor - not so bad better than tossing it if it works for you.

we used to do this with edgeworth to give it more flavor & moisture if it was too dry.

not as scary as it sounds if it works for you.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
The apple method is not well thought of, even though the old timers used to do it, because the apple can get moldy, which is not a good thing. I'd try Zeke or Peter's methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.