PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
I'm interested in knowing too - I noticed that out of all the tobaccos I have in bulk, the C&D Nutty Irishman seems to be drier than the rest.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Tobacco that is too dry is a problem that I never have in Hilo. I think most tobacco is better if it is on the drier side.

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
A little on the dry side is better for me, if you scrol way down to the bottom of this page you will find A list of how too articals, one close to the bottom is rehydrating

dsteinfeld

Lurker
Jul 14, 2010
Does anyone here have any experience with or an opinion on handling/storing tinned tobacco once you open it ? I've noticed that some aromatics will lose their unique flavor if left exposed to air, but trying to keep it packed in the tin doesn't seem quite right. I've started to "repack" opened tins in airtight tupperware containers. I'm wondering whether anyone has a better method for retaining freshness. As to dryness, I live in a humid environment in South Florida so I just take a bowlful out and let it air dry for 30 or so minutes and it smokes dry and clean. I agree with the other posts that a little on the drier side is better, but it depends on your environment, you pipe, and your tastes.

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
Welcome dsteinfeld! most people put there tobacco in mason or bail top jars once there open. This and vaccum sealing is also how most people age there tobacco

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
It depends on the blend and your personal taste. Generally the way to test is to take a small amount of the tobacco between your thumb and forefinger and squeeze it together. When you release it it should have a "slight" tendency to stick together.
If it dries out you can add some moisture by sprinkling it with water. That will bring back the moisture level but you may notice a slight change in taste because some of the oils in the tobacco have broken down and that's where the flavor is.
As to storing tobacco after you opened the tin, just transfer it into a jar with a screw top lid. Those "bail" top jars don't seen too air tight to me. I don't personally have this problem... the tobacco doesn't last long enought to get stale..

Status
Not open for further replies.