PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
Yes the obvious and simple solution is ether drink more liquids or find a different blend.
I'm just kinda curious how frequently this occurs for others?
Is this why so many mention the beverage they are consuming when they share the pipe and tobacco being smoked?
I had completely forgetten this experience personally tell just this moment when a fellow members Tobacco recommendation ( G.L. Pease - Virgina cream) reminded me I happened to have that blend in my "Try again later" collection. Only took an inhale or two to remind me exactly why i set it aside in the first place.
I find the flavor rather wonderful but the instant and unquenchable dry mouth puts any wacky backy I've ever encountered to shame.
A unique experience for me as the majority of the blends I've tried to date instead tend to cause me to over salivate at times almost embarrassingly so.

P.s. Sorry if this has been asked a billion times. The Search Bar says the word dry is To short, to long or to common to search with.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
I like to drink a citrus drink while smoking and use Biotene afterwards. I understand that drinking alcoholic beverages while smoking takes the protective coating from the mouth and promotes dry mouth. If you use a mouth wash, don't use one with an alcohol content. Biotene is best for after smoking because there isn't any alcohol in it. The citrus drink for me helps to clean my palate and helps me taste the tobacco better.

Chris81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2021
Malaga, Spain
I drink water with some slices of lemon in it. Smoke is alkaline so the acidity of the lemon seems to help lower the PH of my mouth.
And sometimes a glass of wine... I know you should avoid drinking alcohol when you smoke but wine is just around 7-8% alcohol so I don't think a glass will cause any trouble (a glass of wine for me is actually 2 or 3 fingers of wine).

Last edited:

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Yes, I've come across the rare blend that does this to me.
The overwhelming majority of tobaccos do not do this to me. But a few do.
I just can't recall right now which they were...

Reactions: HopHand
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Perhaps some effects and establishing cause.
I’ve had dry mouth when not smoking.

Pipe smoking, is an art. While it may be for some, it’s not a nicotine hit. Puffing too hard ruins the opportunity.

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
Perhaps some effects and establishing cause.
I’ve had dry mouth when not smoking.

Pipe smoking, is an art. While it may be for some, it’s not a nicotine hit. Puffing too hard ruins the opportunity.
Guess that's one of the great things about this hobby and the ever growing selection of options. For me it's at least 60-75% Nicotine. Would have zero interest if it wasn't possible to get great flavor while enjoying a solid nic fix and without a doubt wouldn't have so happily walked away from a 2 pak a day cigarette habit ?‍♂️

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I drink water with some slices of lemon in it. Smoke is alkaline so the acidity of the lemon seems to help lower the PH of my mouth.
And sometimes a glass of wine... I know you should avoid drinking alcohol when you smoke but wine is just around 7-8% alcohol so I don't think a glass will cause any trouble (a glass of wine for me is actually 2 or 3 fingers of wine).
2-3 fingers is a small amount of wine, but most wine I encounter averages 13%...