PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
I posted about my last pipe I was working on. I called it the "Drunken Poker" It was a pipe I was making for someone and it looked great, but had a couple bad flaws so will end up being a shop pipe.
The person I was making that one for liked the shape, so I have started "Drunken Poker" Part-2 it too has a flaw but is nothing that will effect the pipe. I could use partial rustication to hide it but just don't like the look of partial rustication and think this pipe looks better the way it is.
The pipe is almost 3" high and the bowl is 7/8" x 2". It looks pretty heavy but is light for it's size.
I'm waiting on a few acrylic stems so that I can use that material on this one.
It turned out better than No. 1
This one is with the dark stain to bring out the grain.

DSC00827.jpg

These pictures are after sanding and a lighter stain, followed by buffing and carnuba.
DSC00830.jpg

DSC00829.jpg

DSC00833.jpg

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I like the shape. The stain really brought out the grain. Thanks for sharing.
Winton

briarbird

Can't Leave
Dec 7, 2011
Very awesome! Great work, I just tried my first poker shape as well, I am loving yours man.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
From chucking the block into the lathe till you see what I have now, I have about 4 hours or so time in it. But I don't really get in a hurry. That includes drilling a stem for delrin and fitting it to the pipe. Of course I did this just to line things up as I shaped the pipe. I'll be installing a lucite stem to it when they arrive.

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
NICE JOB. As mentioned earlier, the shape is a perfect compliment to the grain. I really like the sharp intersection between the shank and the bowl. Sitter / chimney pipes are tough, as you can get uneven burning around the bowl rim if the pipe is left to vent too long whilst setting - ideally the chimney vents perpendicular (like on a house).

It's beautiful. Next step is a signature chair leg stem.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Love the pipe man. Great job.
Looks a little deep for my tastes... Relights look like trouble. :puffy:

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Thanks for the positive remarks, I sure appreciate them.
Spartan, it's not as deep as it looks from the outside. Relights should be no problem at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.