PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

StrawBunyan

Lurker
Sep 18, 2021
Tennessee
Why don't you practice with an empty pipe clenched in your teeth. Hold the pipe in the teeth and try to control your saliva. Where and how you position the pipe in your mouth can influence the amount of saliva. It all takes time and practice. Until you get a hang of it, get lighter weight pipes. You'll be fine.
I took some time out in the yard today clenching the pipe. I was able to mitigate the drool some like you said...lip position, pipe position etc. I found when I got comfortable and forgot the pipe was in my mouth was the only time I started it up again. I did this lit and unlit almost all day and made good progress so I am confident I'll overcome it. I don't think pipes get much lighter the then one I'm smoking, I bought the Dr.grabow Duke and it only weighs .8oz (22g) I think it's just me being a newb. I do want to experiment with stem shapes within the straight pipe line. I am thinking of trying (please forgive me if this term isn't right) a saddle bit.(the long skinny straight no taper stems like the grabow Riviera)
yeah it's a beginner thing and also going slower helps. It's one of those things I forget about how it used to be an issue, until someone brings it up and then I remember how that used to be an issue. Also spitting it out makes it worse.
Good tip. It makes sense that spitting it would just cause my body to make more o it. I was instinctively spitting it like it was dip or something, It took a minute of deliberate attention but I've stopped spitting it out.

Thanks for the help guys.