Driving to the Chicago pipe Show any Suggestions??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stacen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2011
Hey I am driving from Ft Lauderdale to the Pipe show in Chicago. (I am bringing my Girlfirends jeep to her, so being a nice guy pays off a bit!) I am planning on three days to do it, with the possibility of making it four. I'd like to know if anyone has any cool ideas about places to stop on the way. Favorite B&M's, places to go for great food or beer or a smoke. As an example, I was thinking about going out of the way a bit, to Missouri, to check out the MM factory, Cheers for any thoughts.
Pretty excited about the whole trip!

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Not any thoughts on the drive but I am in Chicago and can offer suggestions around town. The show is actually about an hour outside of the city but if you are driving in that far, the city is well worth the visit.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Shoot I am driving too but that is because the airfare would cost way too much and cut into my Pipe and Tobacco funds! :)
My drive is a 13 hour one! I will be driving straight through and arriving at the show just in time, go to sleep later that night, wake up to go back to the show, leave that night and drive straight back!

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
My drive is going to be 10 minutes. I live just south of Saint Charles.
I do the IL to FL trip every other year. You REALLY REALLY don't want to experience Chicago rush hour. When we get about 100 miles south of Chicago, we drive west to route 47. Then proceed north until you are close to the destination. 47 is a two lane road through corn fields. I90, I290, I88 etc are huge roads, that have enormous traffic.
I grew up on a farm. I hate the big city, in case you can't figure that out.
Winton

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Chicago is a great city. If you're a seafood guy you must go to Nick's in downtown. Its the only place I know where you can get abalone. Its expensive but worth it.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Bubba, sounds like you need a professional driver (preferably a Texan) to meet up with you in Oklahoma, and ride with you to Illinois so you can get some rest on the way home.

Let me think, seems like I heard about some out of work truck driver that was real broke, but had lots of time on his hands....

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
@papipeguy

Chicago is a great city. If you're a seafood guy you must go to Nick's in downtown. Its the only place I know where you can get abalone. Its expensive but worth it.
I love downtown Chicago, and Nick's is excellent. There also a Nick's close to O'Hare by the Rosemont Convention Center, and Carlucci (Italian restaurant) is great too.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
Stop in and visit Jack Peterson at his place in Sterling Illinois. He'll fill up your sample bag and make the trip worthwhile.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Bubba, I make it in eleven and a half hours, twelve hours max. It's not a bad drive at all.

When you're in Chicago try go to a Cubs game and do NOT miss a chance to eat at Gino's East, hands down the best deep dish pizza on earth.
Chicago's a beautiful town and my favorite city in the world, has been since my days at Great Lakes.

Now that we've got a son living and working there, we go every summer.

stacen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2011
CHeers fellows, appreciate the suggestions. I am trying to lose a little weight but... i may have to try a few of these places!!

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
If you get a chance, visit Second City or Improv Olympic (IO), both great theaters of Improv with a list of alumni that will blow your mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.