PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
Hey guys, I hope this is the correct sub forum.

First and off topic a bit, I’ve been trying to get an account at pipemakersforum for a few months. I get the email saying it is waiting to be activated I never get activated. I never get replies to my emails about this. Is it closed up? It seems impossible to become a new member...

The main issue here: First, i just snapped the shank for first time at the final buffing. I need a beer. I’ve made 7 or so pipes from pre drilled. I am going to buy a lathe but can’t until mid-summer when we move. I live in Santa Barbara where a small home is millions. Space is far more pricey than your best equipment. I don’t have a place for a lathe. Unless it stays outside. We are moving to a much more affordable rural area where I’ll have my own shop in 4 months or so.

I am pretty sick of paying the premium for pipe kits because I don’t have the tools. I‘ve read endlessly; threads about this question and that it’s “wait to afford the lathe.” I get that. For me, 4 months of spending $35 per block is pricey too right? So with that in mind, would anyone say a Drill Press is a good idea? Like a used $200 one with decent travel and power? I know I’ve still got the tenon/stem making issue. I’m assuming buying stem blanks would be my best option. Maybe the tenon turning tool? But that is about $110 on top of the bits I’ll already need to buy. I don’t know all the limitations since ive not used much machinery until recently. I watch hours a day and read endless threads. Lol.

Again, it’s not really the machinery, it’s having the space for it. So far, the sander, buffer, etc. I can move in and out of my work shed. A lathe wouldn’t fit as I’ve barely any space there as it is.

Anyway, thanks for reading. I know this is an endlessly asked question. I wish I could move tomorrow and get a full size metal lathe but it’ll be July/August for the move where I’ll make my own little pipe shop. Ilive and breath pipes. I’ve restored 50 this year and made 7, own about 100. Last year I was just getting into it The hobby from cigars. I’ve never made a thing before these.

I was about to go buy a couple more $35 kits and figured I’d post this first. I really appreciate reading this and hearing from another pipe person.

here are the ones I’ve done so far... except the wonderful straight grained billiard I just snapped.

Peter E. Pipes - https://www.flickr.com/people/darkowlpipes/
go to albums for the ones I did vs. some I’m uploading of estates. All were done with a dremel, files and sandpaper. A buffer. I started using a sander on the last two.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
A lathe will make things more efficient, but it's not a requirement in my experience. Just take your time with your alignments on a drill press to make sure you are drilling square. Use compasses, straight rulers, squares, etc. to keep your layouts accurate and go slow with the hand shaping to your layouts.

I use a drill press, band saw and sanding wheel as the main bulk tools until I pick up a lathe at some point. Just take your time and it can be done fine (I don't use any preform material). The biggest restriction on my drill press is the length I can drill, which restricts me to about 2.5 - 3 inch shanks and bits as that's the limit of the press drill depth.

Reactions: lightmybriar

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
Very nice!!! I’m of no help. I’m not a pipe repair guy. The only thing I can possibly add is for like 25 bucks you can send it away to Walkers or any other repair shop. It’s almost not worth the investment or hassle. Thanks but it’s more about making more than getting this one fixed. Ive got plenty of pipes, I can fix it next year when I do have a lathe. Just trying to find best way to make more now with limited space. (no garage etc)

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
Sorry accidentally deleted my post. I must have misunderstood your post. Im not a pipe maker. Maybe others here will have some answers. Good luck

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
A lathe will make things more efficient, but it's not a requirement in my experience. Just take your time with your alignments on a drill press to make sure you are drilling square. Use compasses, straight rulers, squares, etc. to keep your layouts accurate and go slow with the hand shaping to your layouts.

I use a drill press, band saw and sanding wheel as the main bulk tools until I pick up a lathe at some point. Just take your time and it can be done fine (I don't use any preform material). The biggest restriction on my drill press is the length I can drill, which restricts me to about 2.5 - 3 inch shanks and bits as that's the limit of the press drill depth.

thank you for your reply! What would be a good drill press size? 12” or 17” etc? I figure I can still use a drill press in future for a home I’ll buy too. I’ll def have to learn a lot about accuracy in measuring. I was very concerned about flush mounting. How to shape the tenon and mortise properly. I also know I’d need to spend a good bit on.. well, bits. After I’ve moved and have my own shop area, I’ll probably spend half my day there. For now, with the drill press, I’d be very happy just making 1 a week. How much briar do you buy at a time? man, I’ve not enjoyed doing anything this much in about 15 years when I was 25 racing motorcycles and chasing girls. Lol.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I can only suggest to really sit down and figure out what it is you want to accomplish with the tool you are looking to purchase. Then make a decision from that as to what you actually get. What you intend to use it for ultimately will be different from what I use mine for, along with how you go about executing that intention.

I'm just saying a lathe is a nice thing to eventually have but you can do plenty with less if that's all you have space and/or funds for. It's not a barrier for entry.

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
I’m so back and forth. I’ve spent a couple hours reading more, watching more. I’m reading same threads about lathes etc. I’m back at the point of just waiting to move. Looking at the drills with decent travel, they’re big... a band saw would help too.. I just don’t have the space here is what it comes down too. just a lot to figure out here at my current place. as much as I don’t want to wait that long, its probably best just to get a proper lathe and set up after I move this summer. Just need to figure out what to do with my time until Then. thanks for the input guys.

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
You’ve done a nice job on the ones you’ve made.

Regarding: My 4th Pipe. A Rustic Cherrywood
Did you rusticate it with your Drexel?

Status
Not open for further replies.