PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I asked a question in a thread not long ago regarding the detrimental effects of heat on stored tobacco. One member replied that some people think of hot storage as accelerating the ageing process.
I like the flavor of Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey, but only buy a pouch rarely due to not being able to tame the bite, even in a cob. So, in the spirit of experimentation, I purchased a fresh pouch from a local grocery store about a week ago. I dried a little for an hour, and smoked it in a MM Twain. Bit pretty badly, as usual. I jarred the rest in a 1/2 pint Kerr jar and put it on my back porch. Tucson temps have been hovering around the 100 degree mark all week.
Today, I opened the jar, dried for about 45 minutes, and loaded the same MM Twain. Miraculous difference! The stuff is so much more easy-going, it's almost unbelievable! If you live in a hot climate and like the BR Bourbon Whiskey, cook the stuff outside in a jar for a few days. The difference will amaze you!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Interesting thread. If you like the BR bourbon you should try the Sutliff Top Shelf. Also a bourbon but I got no bite from it that I recall.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Other than taming the bite, did you notice any difference in the taste?
+1 Sutliff Top Shelf. When I opened the tin of Top Shelf it was nearly as strong as smelling a real bottle of bourbon.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
Well, sounds interesting. I have been smoking BR Whiskey for ~40 years. I may try this method, I will put a mason jar with the BR in my truck on the dash for a day sitting in the sun.

P

pipebuddy

Good to know. Try Scandinavian Mixture by Borkum Riff, it's a much better offering and doesn't even bite right out of the pouch (well, as long as it's not moist, of course).

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'll have to try a bit of each of those. 'Course, this stuff always comes up right after I put in a big TAD order!
@Dave- Other than being able to really focus on the flavor for once, I don't think it changed the flavor at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.