PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
What's up guys and gals, hope everyone is well. I've been refilling my humidors here lately, as it has been a while since they have had sticks in them. I buy one on nearly every trip to my local b&m to smoke in the lounge along with my pipes, but i acquire the majority of them online as you pay an insane amount less. I've smoked quite a few of Drew Estate's Kentucky Dark Fired cigars over the past year or so, all at the b&m at the recommendation and high praises of one of my buddies that works there and loves them (he is also a pipe smoker). Anyways i recently acquired around 40 of them in varying vitolas and would highly recommend trying them if you dig stogies and are looking for something different and smoke english blends. IMO this stick is the closest thing you will get to a pipe oriented/flavored cigar. The flavor profile is very unique and they use fire cured tobacco when making them. They go for around $6-9 a stick retail, which if you know the premium cigar market is a great deal. If you look around online though you can get them for less than half of that. Check them out if/when you get a chance, if you haven't already!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
MUWAT!! :mrgreen:
I love 'em ... those and the AJ Fernandez Spectre get their own "tupperdor" together.
So far I like the "chunky" 4x46 the best ... how about you?

I fell in love with these sticks. They actually make you into a horrible parent. I fired one up a few weeks ago in my smoking room as my last smoke of the day, locked the door and was about one fourth of the way through with my eyes rolling back into my head and euphoria setting in. When, knock knock knock!

"Go back to bed!!"

"But, Papa!"

About half way through... knock knock knock!

"Go to bed!"

"But, Papa!"

"This had better be damned good!"

And, it turned out that she had thrown up in her bed. The good thing was that smoking the nub sure killed the smell of kid vomit. Ha ha! I felt like a horrible parent, but it happens easily when you interrupt me and my last smoke of the day, ha ha!!
I picked up a few free ones from my buddy at The Briary. He had just gotten them in to see if he was going to carry them. As soon as he stocks up, I plan on doing the same. I highly recommend these sticks for the lover of the dark fired.

jmmize

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2014
When smoking cigars I like the big ring size! I will give these stogies a try!

thanks layinpipe!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
The room note of those KFC is very much reminicent of pipe smoke. I've smoked them all and find them good but i have to be in the right mood. They are very creamy, smokey and a bit of a powerhouse IMO. The Fat Molly and the Chunky fly out the door of our shop.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
@Darin, AJ Fernandez is the man! I love his entire San Lotano line (minus the connecticut shade wrapper, as i am not a fan of the milder blends) as well as the diesel and man o' wars. He is definitely top notch and comes from a family of legendary cuban cigar makers. I love drew estate when it comes to cigars. Jonathan is a visionary and not afraid to leap, not step, outside of the box to come up with something new and different, without sacrificing flavor or quality. I got a box of the undercrown corona vivas in the humi and hot damn are they delicious. I am a huge fan of all the vitolas of the undercrowns, but the corona viva blend is tweaked a little for a little extra umph in the nic and flavor department. Also greatly enjoy almost all of Don Pepin Garcia's blends and had to scoop up yet another box of the flor de las antillas that are also marinating in the cedar.
I've had almost all the vitolas of the KFC, but my favorite is the Just A Friend toro. Nice slow burn and provides more of a multi-dimensional flavor profile, especially when enjoyed slowly. Just recently my order included a ten of those and the NUB-esque Hamhock vitola (3 3/4 x 56), as well as a cylinder/bundle of the newer Delfinas, which are a long panatela vitola at 6 1/2 x 26. Really looking forward to seeing how those thin twizlers are gonna pan out. I'm guessing they will be delicious based on the wrapper to filler ratio, but we shall see.
Smoking and enjoying the hell out of an Espinosa Maduro toro right now. Great and quality stick that will not break the bank or punch your wallet in the face.
@Cosmic, that one made me :rofl: i think she had a legit reason to interrupt papa's bliss!
@jmmize, sure brother, let us know how you like them if you get a chance to try them out. I don't think you will be dissapointed.
@settersbrace, i find them to be a medium to borderline full bodied cigar. The Fat Molly and Chunky are both delicious indeed. I haven't yet found a size yet that i didn't like or wouldn't smoke again.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I love his entire San Lotano line
Oh yeah!! :worship:
I haven't had a chance to try the "New World" release yet but have heard it's great as well.
You know, it's been hit and miss with the Undercrowns for me ... they probably need some age.
My recent other "goto" stick is the Padron Maduro ... consistent build and flavor every time.
Sancho Panza Double Maduro is also a favorite but can have some construction issues.
Let us know how those "Twizzlers" work out for you! :)

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If you want a kick ass bold cigar keep an eye out for camancho blackouts, they were a limited release that retailed for about 11$ each when they came out but I recently scored 5 packs for 15$. After having one I wish I'd bought at least 20 of them, luckily I got 10 but man after having one I was blown away. Just a bad-ass cigar, like a Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970. Full bodied but deceptively smooth and if you don't pace yourself right have a barf bag nearby as you're going to be green.

Status
Not open for further replies.