PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

will346

Lurker
Nov 30, 2015
Totally random. And somewhat a paradox, since I bought the pipe to mellow out and be less obsessive... But, I find that some of my pipes have a quite tight draw and some of them are not tight if you can describe it that way (This is while drawing on the stem before putting in any tobacco). For example, I recently bought a peterson 303 system. The draw is very tight, but, packed properly, she smokes perfectly. Likewise I have a savinelli with a much more airy/loose draw and she smokes fine once packed properly. Reading this back, it's totally OCD, but anyway, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
It sounds like you are definitely overthinking it.
I have a variety of pipes and tobaccos and never really think about it anymore.
Pack the bowl, do a test draw and adjust if necessary, then light.
Don't forget to sit back and enjoy.

will346

Lurker
Nov 30, 2015
Anyone reckon system pipes have a tighter draw by design? Lord help, I'll never sleep at this rate!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
will, they do have a tighter draw and probably take getting used to especially in P-lip. In fishtail its just slightly tighter. Some folks love them and some folks hate them. i'm in the love them camp.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Some people have different experiences with the same pipe. Some people love filters, some hate them. Some can't stand the draw on a p-lip, others prefer it. Bottom line? Its just you and you are still feeling out what you like, and what works for you.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Pipes can be like people: they're all different and each one has its own idiosyncrasy. My pipes also have different draughts. Some are drilled for filters, but can be smoked without, or with an adapter; others are filterless but with narrower holes, or with more open holes (cobs). It can be challenging and even frustrating to adjust the packing to the pipe to compensate for draught openness or tightness, especially for those starting out.
Then again, like with people, once you learn the particular idiosyncrasies of each one of your pipes, you can make the adjustments consciouslessly, methinks.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I should have just bought one pipe and then I'd have no comparisons!
Now you tell me! :mrgreen:
20180831_153509.jpg

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Haha Embers! But I'm sure even in that fleet of pipes, there are some that smoke better than others. Its o e of the more frustrating things about learning to smoke a pipe- how individual everything is, even for the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.