PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerrodger

Lurker
Dec 7, 2018
I bought a new Peterson Derry Rustic 408 bent apple a few days ago. I like the feel and the design, the acrylic bit, everything, but the draw requires much more effort than my other pipes-Savinelli, Rossi, MM cobs. Is this normal for Petersons? The stem doesn't seem to be the cause. The bit has a smaller diameter hole than my other pipes. Right from the first bowl it was difficult to get an easy draw. I can run pipe cleaners through it, so it has no obvious obstruction.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In a word, no. All of my Petes are relatively open draw, not as wide open as my Ser Jacopo, but as open or a little more open than most.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Drill the draft hole bigger..by hand. A power tool in the hands of a non pipe maker (like me) will almost certainly ruin the pipe.
Find the right size bit that fits in the draft hole with no play and then go up in increments of 1/64 inch.

rogerrodger

Lurker
Dec 7, 2018
Thanks for the replies. I will consider using a drill if it doesn't seem to get better after a week or so. I'm still hoping its just a piece of acrylic lodged in the draft hole of the bit that may get worked out with cleaners. I suppose one can buy replacement bits from Peterson, too.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I've got a 408 and don't notice any problem with the draw. It's one of my favorite pipes.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I needed a new stem on an Peterson estate pipe I bought. I contacted Peterson and they replied with the below.
"Hi
New stems are €36 and €15 for return post , it takes 6/8 weeks for repair.

Thanks

John"
email is Shop@peterson.ie

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Let's understand first where the obstruction or restriction is, especially before considering modifications to the pipe. With the pipe empty, remove the stem and draw through both the shank and the stem. Do either seem restricted? Usually, it's the stem, but bits of fluff from pipe cleaners can easily cause a restriction in the shank and can hang on stubbornly -- even when another pipe cleaner seems to pass cleanly. And there's the old eyeball test, depending upon the degree of bend. Can you see clearly through the draft holes in both the stem and stummel?
I hate to ask the obvious, but when you say its draw is tight, is that with the pipe packed or empty? I have found some pipes can be more prone to obstructions by the tobacco based upon the shape of the bowl and/or the placement of the draft hole relative to the bottom. If it's tight only when packed, try putting a pipe cleaner all the way through the stem and into the bowl prior to packing.
Finally, I believe the Derry line are all traditional fishtail stems, but if it's a p-lip, those always feel restricted compared to a fishtail. They still smoke fine, though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
On the preliminary explorations, also try a bristle pipe cleaner which won't mar the stem or shank but will apply a little more abrasion to the airway.

rogerrodger

Lurker
Dec 7, 2018
Update: I ran a pipe cleaner with wires through the stem and it dislodged something, a tiny piece of plastic, I'm assuming. Anyway, the pipe draws much better now, like my MM cobs with a balsam filter. Maybe, when I first loaded the pipe, a tiny bit of tobacco got lodged in the stem, and the fluffy pipe cleaners didn't dislodge it. Or, there was just a piece of acrylic resting in the draft hole from the original drilling. Either way, it works now, and it smokes very well.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Excellent news. Saved a trip to the hardware store and enjoying the new pipe...life is good.

rogerrodger

Lurker
Dec 7, 2018
Further update: I was contacted today by Mr. Glen Whelan of Peterson Pipes in response to an email I sent to the company asking about the restricted draw on the pipe, and how I might improve it.
He responded graciously that he would like to send me a new stem. Now, that is the kind of customer service that marks a great company! One of the primary reasons I buy from Apple and Bose, and even Tiffany, even though their products are often more expensive than their competitors is that, in addition to the quality of their products, they offer superb customer service.
I add Peterson Pipes now to my short list of classy companies with great customer service. I guess I'll have to save up for that beautiful 408 2018 Christmas pipe. That way I can rotate it with my current 408. Thank you, Mr. Whelan!

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I had the same problem with a Peterson, a 999 silver spigot. As in your case, something was stuck inside the stem and it took multiple run-throughs with pipe cleaners to work it out. Since then it has smoked like a champ.

Jan 8, 2013
It could have been a bit of the bowl coating that was causing the restriction. I had a restriction once and ran the poker of my pipe tool through the shank. It dislodged it and it was nice open. Good to hear you got yours taken care of as well. This easily could have turned into another "Bad Quality Peterson" thread, and I'm glad it didn't.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I just bought a Derry 408 recently too, and it smokes great - no issues. Glad to hear the issue fixed itself. Enjoy your new pipe!
I was a bit surprised (pleasantly!) at how stout the pipe actually is. Quite a chunk of briar, that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.