PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Dmitri1516

Might Stick Around
Jul 7, 2022
Capitalized proper names.

Hi guys, is it true that one must slowly and gently twist the stem of the Dr Plumb pipe to remove it ?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Hi guys, is it true that one must slowly and gently twist the stem of the Dr plumb pipe to remove it ?

Thanks
Hi demetri, no, this is not true.
I use an industrial air line with my Dr. Plumb pipes. About a 1000 psi usually does the trick. Shove it in the bowl, squee the trigger & watch those babies fly! Bear in mind, im speaking from years of experience. Someone like you shouldn’t attempt this without a hard hat & safety goggles on. Stay safe out there demetri.👍

Dmitri1516

Might Stick Around
Jul 7, 2022
Thanks all for your input. Btw, do you think it's a good idea to use the pipe 2 times in a row ? I got 4 other pipes

Thanks

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Thanks all for your input. Btw, do you think it's a good idea to use the pipe 2 times in a row ? I got 4 other pipes

Thanks
The received wisdom is that you shouldn't smoke the same pipe more than once every 24 hrs. This is usually referred to as "resting" the pipe.

I'm not sure whether this holds up to measurable scrutiny or whether it's just one of those concerns that's been passed around among pipe smokers since time out of mind.

I do seem to recall a recent write-up in which GLP claimed to have found that some of his pipes improved with a longer-term rest -- maybe a week? But I don't remember the details, and I may be mis-remembering in the first place.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Hi demetri, no, this is not true.
I use an industrial air line with my Dr. Plumb pipes. About a 1000 psi usually does the trick. Shove it in the bowl, squee the trigger & watch those babies fly! Bear in mind, im speaking from years of experience. Someone like you shouldn’t attempt this without a hard hat & safety goggles on. Stay safe out there demetri.👍
Industrial air lines are for wimps! I stuff my Dr. Plumb with military grade gun powder and touch if off with a match. Works great. Be sure not to hold it in your mouth when doing this... that's the real key to it. puffy

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: FLDRD and tklee

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Industrial air lines are for wimps! I stuff my Dr. Plumb with military grade gun powder and touch if off with a match. Works great. Be sure not to hold it in your mouth when doing this... that's the real key to it. puffy
Must be nice to have access to industrial air lines and military grade powders. We po' folk are relegated to potato cannon techniques from childhood. But my supply of old Aqua Net cans is running low, and the new stuff won't do it. The day fast approaches when I will no longer be able to remove my stems. Alas.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
You see all those WWII movies? Grab stummel tight in your hand. Lock tight on to the stem with you lips and gently latch on with teeth, so as not to mar the finish. Yank out the stem like a freaking grenade pin! Don't throw the stummel. That would be a safety hazard. But you are suggested to yell "Geranimo!"

Reactions: LotusEater

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Some amusing quips above!

I also twist clockwise when removing and replacing the stem.

And two pipes in a row (same pipe) is generally a piece of cake.
Because the bore hole in the shank where the stem goes is generally bored with a bit turning clockwise, I've heard that if you turn the stem counter clockwise to remove it it's smoother. I can't really say that I've ever noticed a difference. puffy

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad only owned one pipe at a time and smoked most of the day, always Granger from a pouch. From about age 15, though he probably didn't smoke in school, until he quit cold turkey to take a job as a second career on a no-smoking campus at age 65. His pipe rested when he was asleep. He departed life at age 89 licensed to drive without glasses.

• Love
Reactions: jpmcwjr and SBC

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Because the bore hole in the shank where the stem goes is generally bored with a bit turning clockwise, I've heard that if you turn the stem counter clockwise to remove it it's smoother. I can't really say that I've ever noticed a difference. puffy
Another "I heard"! I guess that's where a lot of learning takes place.

Perhaps some one can actually test that. Until then, I am a clock wise guy. At least, consistent! :)

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Another "I heard"! I guess that's where a lot of learning takes place.

Perhaps some one can actually test that. Until then, I am a clock wise guy. At least, consistent! :)
I just heard it, I'm not promoting it. Suppose someone could do a test using a small torque wrench. Then again, do we really care? puffy

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
Gunpowder? Compressed air….psssshhhh amateurs . A good mix of nitroglycerin and an ACME anvil with Will E Coyote holding it does the trick!
Seriously though yes. My Dr plumb pipes do seem quite a bit tighter on the fit than other pipes. So I twist them off slowly. But this varies from pipe to pipe .

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I just heard it, I'm not promoting it. Suppose someone could do a test using a small torque wrench. Then again, do we really care? puffy
Good point. We need a couple of guys with strong opinions on either side to get this going. And I am not promoting either. If it were possible, I could care less.

Dmitri1516

Might Stick Around
Jul 7, 2022
Hi guys, for some reason, my pipe cleaners cannot go all the way of the stem. Any ideas why ?

Thanks