PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Another of my kinda goofy pipe projects. Saw this Peterson on eBay and got it for $8.50. Not sure it was even worth that, but I like the challenge of trying to restore really messed up pipes. The Dr. Peterson title is because it came with a Dr. Grabow Omega stem. The pipe is a Sherlock Holmes Rathbone pipe made in 1998 I believe, but as you can see it had some real issues. I addition to the cracks that are visible there was another bad one on the front of the bowl. The bowl had all kinds of dings in it too, but I didn't try to get rid of most of them. The stem was a hot mess too, the airway was totally blocked and the bit was chewed up pretty badly. The seller might be a member here as he recommended George D. to restore it, but I doubt George would want to see this show up on his bench. At any rate, it was fun to restore, but I haven't tried to smoke it yet as I'm waiting for the pipe mud I smeared around the inside to dry.
s-l160014-600x297.jpg

s-l160013-600x259.jpg

s-l160012-600x437.jpg

img_0733-600x367.jpg

img_0736-600x370.jpg

img_0741-600x355.jpg

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Amazing looking little restore you have there! I might just be keen to start looking for that kind of thing myself. I always enjoy making new things and restoring other things I find interesting. Might be a nice little project to buy up old pipes here and there and fix them up in my spare time. Very nicely done! I like that you didn't fix all the issues, I believe that those little things show character.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
Wow, it cracked both inside and outside of the bowl. How did you fill the cracked? It's amazing restore!

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
That was a hot mess when you got it. Now it is just plain gorgeous! Great job of restoring that old workhorse.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Thanks for all the comments guys! I filled in the cracks with some JB Wood Weld, super glue and wood filler plus some briar dust all in different steps. I've found that this works rather nicely and provides a strong bond. On close inspection you can see the repairs, but using a dark stain helps to hide them. Inside the bowl I make sure to fill in the cracks and fissures with a good coating of pipe mud! I'm sure a real pipe repair person (George) would not necessarily approve of my methods, but smoking these repair pipes of mine seems to be fine and I've had no ill effects or problems with the pipes.
I've been thinking of at least getting stem that looks more like the original, especially because the Omega bit is horrible. I went ahead and sanded it down to be more like a regular button with an orifice opening. :mrgreen:

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Great job on that one Orley!I don't know how some of you manage to do this. I Never could...

Status
Not open for further replies.