PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fhb2532

Lifer
Feb 22, 2010
What are the differences in grabow pipes? the prices are so close, how do I choose?

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
Frank, I don't know from Grabows. But it looks like one key difference is screw together vs. push bit.
I assume the screw togethers have some kind of metal stinger.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have a bunch of the good Dr's pipes I would like to get rid of. They just don't appeal to me.

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I have 3 I got from my grandpa that still smoke great.

1 1937 Ventilator

1 1939 Dollar Dr. Grabow

1 1950 Supreme
Unclearthur you dont happen to have and bulldog dr. grabow do you? If so I would take that off your hands.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Some jerk stole my Dr. Grabow from my patio. Those evil bastards. That Omega was like a family member. Now, it is probably a crack pipe.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Some jerk stole my Dr. Grabow from my patio. Those evil bastards. That Omega was like a family member. Now, it is probably a crack pipe.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Sure am. Got delayed here getting things ready for pictures. I will take care of that as soon as I am able.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Well I finally did it. I stopped by my local CVS store on the way home and picked up a Dr. Grabow Savoy. I'd been wondering what all the talk was about and whenever someone brought up needing a cheap pipe the Grabow controvrsy always appears.
My smooth Grabow Savoy and the energy drink I bought came out to a whole $30 with tax. Finish wise, it was pretty darn plain. not a lot of grain depth or visible bird's eye. It came with a metal fitting in the stem and a filter which I chucked straight away. I was happy to see that the bowl was pre-carbonized.
I had finally gotten a hold on a tin of Penzance so I crumbled some up and loaded the pipe. I'll try not to turn this into a Penzance review, because that is some damn good baccy. I see why Hobie ho0ards the stuff now. I had my bic, my Grabow, the tamper I lotted in the swap from Winton and off I went.
It smoked cool. I noticed no foul tastes, just the sweet, delicious orientals and leathery Latakia that Penzance lovers love (and the same type of flavor complexity that shot me straight through the heart with Magnum Opus. I DO see a Penzance review coming on, but not here. must...wait...
I worked about the yard, clenching the grabow and giving it the necessary gentle tamp as required and in a little over an hour, I had a pile of ash and a fine smoke in my wake.
The darn cheap little pipe smoked great! You know I love my cobs, but I gotta throw the Savoy in the ring for a grab and go-good smoke.
Here's a pic. It's not mine, but honestly, none of them were unique in appearance, at least in that style.
1fd4c6dc45f27c2b918881f76e52.jpg

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Congrats baron!!
I have an Omega that I love also! Perfect size and weight when walking the dog, etc... have it on my Santa list so I can get another one to dedicate to aro blends... :puffy:

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Cool review. I have been eying this pipe also, but my wife reminds me how many I have now. Does it pass a pipe cleaner easily?
Winton

nmbigfoot02

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2011
I'm not a huge fan of the colored lacquer they apply to the pipes at the factory. It gives them shine, but it can really suppress the grain of the pipe. Personally, I remove the lacquer on my DGs and give the pipe a good coating of olive oil. It makes the grain much more visible.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Congrats! Believe it or not, I've been smoking a pipe for 33 years, and I've never had a Dr Grabow, maybe I should try one.

Status
Not open for further replies.