PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I've always had a soft spot for good old drug store no nonsense codger pipes. I notice that some of you smoke Dr Grabows. Are any current production Grabows made without lacquer finishes? Years ago I sanded it off a few but was never sure how deep the lacquer penetrated. The Grabow website is lousy for info.

Reactions: JOHN72

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
My two cents. Pipes #2 and #3 for me were Grabows (the first was a cob that literally burned up from my freightraining it) They were okay but the lacquer was ridiculous. Mind you my smoking style was ridiculous. I left Grabow and never looked back.......until....... a month ago. After all the positive comments about Grabow I decided to revisit the brand.

I decided to definitely not go with a lacquer special so I went to eBay and purchased two Grabows from the 1930's and 1940's..........well, I just picked up 5 more. I'm really impressed.

Now, I did smoke one my original Grabows yesterday, the lacquer special. It's still, in my opinion, a piece of crap held together by putty and lacquer, but the older ones have been extremely good burners.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My two cents. Pipes #2 and #3 for me were Grabows (the first was a cob that literally burned up from my freightraining it) They were okay but the lacquer was ridiculous. Mind you my smoking style was ridiculous. I left Grabow and never looked back.......until....... a month ago. After all the positive comments about Grabow I decided to revisit the brand.

I decided to definitely not go with a lacquer special so I went to eBay and purchased two Grabows from the 1930's and 1940's..........well, I just picked up 5 more. I'm really impressed.

Now, I did smoke one my original Grabows yesterday, the lacquer special. It's still, in my opinion, a piece of crap held together by putty and lacquer, but the older ones have been extremely good burners.
Thanks that sounds like my experience with Grabows too. Or as I put it you get what you pay for sometimes.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
In the '90s, I had nothing but good to say about Grabows. I've had a few of the newer ones over the past five years and each of their metal tenons chewed up the mortise so bad when removing the stem that the stems just fell out.
I have no real idea why but the majority of real broken pipes I've encountered in the wild have been Grabows. Some because I'll smoke my 30 dollar pipe on the tractor. I knew one guy that bought them because he broke pipes several a year and wouldn't spend money on something he'd break. Though I think he'd have broke any pipe so....

Reactions: J.GANDY and edger

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have no real idea why but the majority of real broken pipes I've encountered in the wild have been Grabows. Some because I'll smoke my 30 dollar pipe on the tractor. I knew one guy that bought them because he broke pipes several a year and wouldn't spend money on something he'd break. Though I think he'd have broke any pipe so....
Then there's the odd nearly century old Linkman's Grabows in perfect condition.

20180624_054704.jpg

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I have always smoked Grabows and cobs when I'm working out in my fields or around the farm, even order them now after they get lost in the hay, eaten up by the tractor equipment, or too greasy to smoke from; but as for the finish? Always got the standard ones with lacquer finish...doesn't bother me though. Don't think they sell them any other way.

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
I have a +/- 5 year old smooth Omega. I actually sanded down the lacquer, then stained with Fiebings leather dye (black) for a few coats. Light coat of mineral oil after, and then every so often. Great smoker for me - my “car pipe”...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
+1 on the Royalton. I have a smooth bulldog and it is a solid pipe.
Yep! I have one I smoke once in a while. Nice pipe (for briar)...
WZc0AOz.jpg

Reactions: anotherbob
Status
Not open for further replies.