PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

I have an ever growing collection of Dr. grabow pipes. Why is are they cheap? Great smokers classic shapes and real workhorse pipe. Is it because they are everywhere you look? Not Danish looking? I am just wondering why.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bowie

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
the stem is plastic.
quality not nearly as good as other briar pipe companies.
most take a filter.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I don't have a grabow, but I have heard good things about them. Can't beat them for the price, by the sounds of it. Plastic stems are a little bit of a turnoff though. I clench alot, and if probably chew the s*** out of it pretty quickly, like my few cobs

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
They fill a market niche and price point.

I like other pipes better but I’ve got a few Grabow pipes I smoke regularly without complaints, particularly some older Linkman’s Dr. Grabow pipes I quite fancy.

Nothing wrong with them but they aren’t generally the same quality as more expensive brands, but you wouldn’t expect them to be. Plastic stems, lesser grade briar, fills and production line finishes will never be better than hand made commodities using premium materials. Doesn’t mean they suck.

Reactions: BROBS

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I enjoy my grabows. They are the perfect pipes to get into restoring. You can find them everywhere from ebay to basically any antique store,at least in my area, for dirt cheap. And they are work house that you can abuse and not feel guilty about.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I really like U.S. factory pipes. Dr. Grabows are made in my state, in Sparta, N.C., up near the Virginia border. I especially like the Royalton series with acrylic stems for just a few bucks more. I own two. The bulldog is so well shaped, I just feel the care that is taken in their production. Mine aren't cheap to me, just considerate of the customer's pocket book, unassuming quality. I believe they are the largest producer of U.S. briar pipes, standard bearers along with Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipes. If you have doubts, buy yourself a Royalton and you'll have a friend for life.

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
What is this plastic stem that everyone is talking about? All of mine have vulcanite stems. Discolored stems to prove it. The only pipe with fills that I have is a Titan with the screw on bowl. Maybe this problem is a newer pipe thing.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Mr.Mike's is one of the better look'n Grabows I've seen. For the money, I think an Edwards or Norm Thompson is the better way to go. With some searching and a little patience, either can be found on EBeast for $20-3 delivered. Especially if they need a little love.

Reactions: Bowie and Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
I would love to get an emperor one day. They are really hard to find. It was a grabow that was only a coupon pipes. They apparently only used flawless grade #1 briar that had full grain to make these. No fills or flaws.

• Wow
Reactions: BROBS
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I don't have a grabow, but I have heard good things about them. Can't beat them for the price, by the sounds of it. Plastic stems are a little bit of a turnoff though. I clench alot, and if probably chew the s*** out of it pretty quickly, like my few cobs

The stem on my Grabow may be plastic. I don't know how to accurately identify all the materials, but the stem on my Grabow is a lot more durable than my cobs.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.

Dr Grabows used vulcanite stems until the early 90's, they haven't always been called "cheap" [enjoy this video from the days of my youth.] The Sparta Pipe factory was Kicking Butt in the mid 70's. (any of you remember this?) I do!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.