PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Really??!! That changes everything! I’m very interested in this idea. I have two very serviceable Grabows that I quite enjoy but the stems aren’t wonderful. If they could be exchanged with vulcanite I’d be very happy indeed.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.

Dr Grabows used vulcanite stems until the early 90's, they haven't always been called "cheap" [enjoy this video from the days of my youth.] The Sparta Pipe factory was Kicking Butt in the mid 70's. (any of you remember this?) I do!
J. D. Higgins singing, and Kermit Pruitt playing guitar for the Dr. Grabow song, for those interested.

Reactions: Bowie

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I sense a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of people suddenly cried out, “Kevin, don’t give up on that abused Grabow - send it in!”

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I'm going to have to look into that! As much as I despise vulcanite, that maybe very interesting.....
Well for the price you wouldn’t actually have to faff about with it much; when it gets ugly just send it in and get a new replacement!

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Last year I got a stem replaced by Dr. Grabow, of an eBay pipe that had had the stem chewed through entirely. Cost was $13.00. They only accept orders by mail, and only by check or money order (still livin' in the 1950s?)

Attachments

• 2019 Dr Grabow Order Form.pdf
    49.4 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Chasing Embers

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
I had a dublin with a vulcanite stem and a stinger. The stem screwed to the shank.

I smoked it a lot, it was my favorite take to work and out doing errands pipe.

I would still be smoking it, but one day in a very cold winter, the stem froze and wouldnt unscrew. I guess cleveland weather extremes finally got to it.

It was a good pipe, idk what the finish was but no amout of rain, cold and abuse even penetrated it stayed shiny.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you can do acrylic stems, just buy Dr. Grabows in the Royalton series and they'll last a lifetime, for a few bucks more, as mentioned in my earlier post. They're not heavy pipes, so the hardness of acrylic won't work on your teeth. I'm always pleased at the quality smoke they deliver at such an exaggeratedly reasonable price.

Reactions: ray47

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I have some new Dr. Grabow and some much older. Not being much of a clencher and also with the normal human teeth, not many issues, good serviceable pipes. The stem replacement information is useful to have.

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019

Dr Grabows used vulcanite stems until the early 90's, they haven't always been called "cheap" [enjoy this video from the days of my youth.] The Sparta Pipe factory was Kicking Butt in the mid 70's. (any of you remember this?) I do!
That is why all my Dr. Grabows have vulcanite stems. They are all estate and old as dirt. Cheap too. Most that I have paid is $7. Have to clean and decake like a rabid woodchuck but they look alright now.

Reactions: Parsimonious Piper
Status
Not open for further replies.