PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
I was doing cleaning on my Dr. Grabow seen here
IMG_1873_zps84b82a1f.jpg
[/url][/img] and when cleaning it I removed some of the paint on the top of the bowl. So my question would be is there anyway I can get the green back on it or should I just count it as a screw up and move on.

~Ron

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Just recoat it with a rattle can of spray paint in the color of your choice.
Better yet, give it to your kids or grandkids and let them create a masterpiece for you.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Pipes with paint on them, lacquer, or any coating are not my thing for a reason, the whole point to brair pipes is partly eliminated by such coatings. Please for the love of your pipe take some sandpaper to it and let it shine in it's natural beauty, the nice part is you probably don't even need to dye it. I would use something like 300 grit to remove the paint, 600 to finish, and 1,500+ (from Autozone) to sand it nice and fine. Don't be worried about messing it up, sandpaper is really forgiving, just give it a good coat of wax and polish it up when your done, it will be infinitely better and look nicer than with the paint.

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
Better yet, give it to your kids or grandkids and let them create a masterpiece for you.
Only one problem there Zeke I'm 20. The main this about this pipe for me is that it is painted and I've always have loved seeing the displays of Grabows in old adds and now I own one, so I would like to keep it intact.

~Ron

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
If you like the way the Dr Grabow looks (I do!) then just leave it alone. If the paint chips off here and there it just makes the pipe look like it was well loved and well used.
People who collect cameras, guitars, cars, furniture, and even guns look in complete disdain when someone tries to "restore" or "cover up" wear marks, scratches, uneven paint coloration, etc. on items that are more valuable in original condition.
You will never be able to recreate that paint color. Ask any collector how much they hate when someone tries to recreate that seafoam-green color on a vintage Fender electric.
Thank you for posting a picture of that great looking green Dr Grabow.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Love the pipe, my Dad had the entire set in fact there is a pic of me at three sitting smoking his green pipe just like that one. Of course not really smoking lol keep it original man. BTW my dads favorites where the green, white and I believe there was an orange one too.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Ron,you should use only a mild soap and water to clean the outside of that Color Duke or any painted pipe. The paint is pretty hard stuff,but the paint on your pipe is also 20-30 years old. I've had several Grabow and Medico painted pipes in my rotation. They smoked just fine. Halcyon or Paragon wax works great on them.

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
Thank for the tip ejame, and shaintiques I sure hope those lead based.

~Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.