Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
Anyone that knows me and my pipe smoking affinities knows that I have a warm affection for the good Dr. Grabow’s ability to deliver a straightforward smoking experience. I don’t often get the chance to work with one though. So, it was a treat when this Grand Duke came across the bench.
Qngn9hG.jpg

hotlATP.jpg

6zjRxAY.jpg

Ksiwxxk.jpg

nglTvq6.jpg

ehy0Jmd.jpg

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
There are certain rules that have to be followed when dealing with highly collectible pipes and rarities. Those rules don’t necessarily apply to a pipe that has a value defined by something other than collectibility. Of course, you still want to stick as close as possible to the intention of the maker, but it’s liberating to be able to take off the cotton gloves, get in knuckle deep and do whatever is going to serve the pipe the best in the final result.
For example, parts of the damaged rim here were rebuilt using a color-matched resin. That’s not a technique that I would typically use on a higher priced pipe because there’s a chance that it would adversely affect its value as a collectible. In this case, however, it kept me from having to choose between noticeably altering the shape of the pipe (albeit only to eagle eyes) through topping or leaving very evident damage behind. Overall, I’m pretty happy with the results.
EhDZQs8.jpg

IfdpCn8.jpg

iE2JGS4.jpg

yvpxI2c.jpg

c8zp3uT.jpg

rbIoVUC.jpg

Thanks for looking!

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Whoa! That baby shines now! Great job with that restoration! That grain is definitely popping! Good job with the color matching as well. If I hadn't seen the before pictures, it would be very hard to identify the spots you had to use it to pad out the rim. About how long did it take you, do you think?

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
About how long did it take you, do you think?

Not sure. I work in batches. So, a little work on this one, a little work on that one and so on. Maybe somewhere around 3-4 hours of actual hands-on time in total, but that's broken up into segments. Could be a little more or a little less, but that's the ballpark.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Awesome restoration! I have yet to own any old American every-man type pipes like Grabows and Kaywoodies, but I'd like to get my hands on a couple good smokers to add to the rotation. I appreciate the vintage Americana vibe of these pipes.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
That is an awesome job! About how old would you estimate that thing is, Piffy? I have the rusticated version of the same pipe that's only about 5 years old. Same tenon, but with a white spade. Great smoker, but I wish it looked as good as that one!

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
@aldecaker: This one was made sometime between 1990 and 1996. Grabow transitioned to the aluminum tenons sometime in the early '90s if I'm not mistaken and they've used them ever since except for some recent Ajustomatic resurrections. I hate them. Metal push tenons are one of the worst ideas for pipe construction if you ask me, but nobody did.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I don't think the aluminum tenon is the best idea either, but I have noticed one good feature about them. If they loosen up, you can just gently spread the two tangs by inserting a pocket knife blade in between them. All in all, though, if you insist on accommodating a 6mm filter, I prefer Savinelli's method.

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
If they loosen up, you can just gently spread the two tangs by inserting a pocket knife blade in between them.

True, but then you end up with a tenon that is horn shaped instead of cylindrical which creates new problems. Plus, you need to be sure to round of the corners of the expanded slot or they will act like the cutting edge of a drill bit every time the stem is twisted in or out.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
This is fact. It figures that the only time you can get aluminum to function as a drilling tool is when you don't want it to! :rofl:

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Whomever owned it before you sure loved it & got their moneys worth.

Great job! Looks beautiful.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I love to see your pictures of the bowl close up, as well as the rest of your pictures. You always do fine restoration work!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Great rim job! And all of the rest of it, too! Seriously nice work. Looks like the former owner used to tap it out on a sidewalk!

john019

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2018
Couple of questions: what did you do to get that finish? And what type of resin did you use? It looks darn good by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.