PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
I have been building a good sized collection of the Doctor pipes. Nothing any newer that late 70s. I have recently bought two Doctor/titan pipes with the screw-in bowls. I have seen someone place a small circle of a pipe cleaner under the bowl to help with wetness. Does it work?

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
Logically it sounds like it should work. I've never owned any of the falcon/viking style pipes. Now that I think about it I wonder if anyone has tried using the nording keystones in those style pipes? Or if the nording keystones work in general.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The pipe cleaner ring is the standard low-cost substitute for the Falcon moisture ring. You make them by cutting small segments off a pipe cleaner and wrapping it around a pipe nail or something similar to give you a ring, and putting it in the moisture reservoir ("hydrodome") at the base of the bowl. When I ordered a Falcon from Iwan Ries, but no moisture rings, someone at the shop cut and bent me some pipe cleaners for the purpose, which I thought was very classy of them. That's standard with Falcons and similar pipes and has been done for fifty years or more.

Reactions: fightnhampster

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
Assuming they have that same little "well" at the bottom of the metal bowl like a falcon does ,it will.

Mike S.
This is reason for joining this forum. The vast bounty of information and knowledge of the members is amazing. It is like sitting down with a dad or elder statesmen and smoking a pipe with them. They give you all the little tricks that they have learned and encourage you along your journey. Thank you all!

Status
Not open for further replies.