PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
As of tomorrow morn, if everything goes according to plan, I will become an official new member of the DE razor shave club.
New Merkur 38C coming. Already bought a silvertip badger brush and a couple of nice shaving soaps/cream - Ogalalla Bay Rum and Taylor Old Bond Street. Just ordered some Astra Stainless Steel blades.
Used to shave with a DE. Before moving to Texas, bought a straight razor and two-sided strop, then sometime along the way changed to "the New" Shick twin blade system, which is now The Gillette one with five blades.
Now have come full circle. May get a straight later on, after acclimating once again to the safety razor.
Anyone know if the Astra blades are marked with 1,2,3,4 so you can tell what side and edge you used last?

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
No idea, I have ignored the numbers myself. Astra are good blades. All I can say is make sure you give yourself an hour before your supposed to go somewhere to shave, that way you have time to bleed out before making any public appearances... I accidentally threw my cord for my electric out a week ago (thinking it went to the old one), so now I am entirely DE shaving now a little sooner than I expected to. So far I actually enjoy shaving now and I have tried both Feather and Astra blades, I'm leaning towards Astra as being the one I like more, Feather are a little sharper but always seem to be a lot harsher to my skin.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Where can you buy the supplies needed for DE shaving.
When I run out of my current Gilette blades I might look into it especially if the cost is lower.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I've been thinking about getting a safety razor and accessories myself. They remind me of my Grandfather. Is there anything special I should know or consider when looking for one? I'd like to get a vintage razor if I can find one for a good price. I've seen quite a few at the antique stores. Any advice is appreciated.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
@ petes Old Gillette DE razors are easy to find on Ebay and I hear they are really good.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
@flmason - I pretty much bought everything on amazon.com, but there are a lot of places online that specialize in shaving items.
A few I looked at, other than ones mentioned in this thread, were:
classicshaving.com

theitalianbarber.com

shaveplace.com
There are lots of them, and some have videos on technique, as does youtube.com. On youtube.com, look for a guy named geofatboy's videos. I saw them recommended by several people in reviews for the blades while on amazin.
Just google "shaving items" for a list.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
Received new Merkur 38C today. Zipped home to try it out on a 2-3 day beard. First impression: "Okay" close, but did not seem as close a my 5-blade Gillette Mach x. Maybe the Merkur included blade? The Ogalalla Bay Rum soap? Maybe I should have bought the adjustable model?
Made second and part of a third pass after careful prep. Only 1 small nick in a chin area where there's a scar from a car wreck almost fifty years ago. Somewhat of a slight razor burn feel, especially after second pass, but will wait until I try again with new Astra blades, and then maybe some Taylor's Old Bond Street Shave Cream instead of the Bay Rum.
Had forgotten what Bay Rum smelled like - nice remembrance. Will be interesting to see how the cream style lathers up compared to the disk of soap.
Anyway, to be continued...

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
One last update before vanishing into Lurkdom for a while. Seems like the shave is now feeling closer. Maybe it took about an hour for skin pores to close up and make it feel that way?
But would that affect any leftover hairs not cut? I wouldn't think so... Hmmm.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I always do a 3 pass shave, now when I first started I was actually unable to cut as close as my shave with my electric razor. After a couple weeks of practice, it is baby smooth when I really pay attention to what I am doing. I find the biggest problem is you have to keep the angle just right in order to get maximum contact with the hairs without damaging your skin and know just the right amount of pressure. I highly recommend using a high quality aftershave, it will get rid of any sensitivity and help your skin feel even smoother. If you have trouble getting it super smooth you can always switch to Feathers if sharpness is an issue, they are the sharpest and will remove more hairs faster. I find they also cause more irritation though.
I have realized the best way to learn is to take a break for a couple of days time to time because improperly shaving with a DE razor at first really caused my skin to get irritated and it caused more nics the more irritated and cut up it got. The better I get, the longer I can go back to back DE shaving without having to take a break from it.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
Forgot to mention the after shave balm I use. Been using it for almost 10 months, very good. Pricey, but only need a drop or two at a time to do the job.
Kiehl's

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
I highly recommend using a high quality aftershave, it will get rid of any sensitivity and help your skin feel even smoother.
Sorry, Eric, but I neglected to ask what you like to use for this.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I use Proraso Pre-shave as both pre and after shave, works absolutely amazing with the menthol and eucalyptus, I also use Proraso shaving soap and I got the shaving cream on order, hopefully it will come, I ordered it to save some time in prep (shaving soap takes like 3 mins of stirring with brush) and to add the extra layer of protection that shaving cream offers over shaving soap. I just love the smell and feel of it so much, I don't suspect I will ever switch to anything else, makes great lather too!
I actually prepare the pre-shave in my shaving bowl the same way I would prepare shaving soap with my brush, helps it go on better and I use less of it. I have a smaller "bulb" type brush, so it will fit right in the smaller pre-shave container.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
You guys can have the DE experience! Nothing really wrong with it, and, if you enjoy it, wonderful! But I grew up with DE razors and I find the newer multi-blade razors to be so much smoother and comfortable, and they last a whole lot longer. I honestly cannot remember the last time I nicked myself. I do, however, remember that happening regularly when I first started shaving, around 1960 or so. Gillette blue blades had been the standards, and were being quickly replaced by stainless steel blades. Shaving creams have also come a really long ways, but I have to admit to stepping back once in a while to the brush and bowl, just for old time sake, mostly.
Of course, I have to admit that, after well over 50 years, shaving is just a daily chore these days (well, every other day since I retired :lol: ), not the "experience" it once was.
BTW, my grandfather was a barber during his younger days and taught me to shave by soaking my face with a hot-as-you-can-stand-it wet face towel for about 3-5 minutes, re-wetting as necessary, then lathering. That always provides a good start to a great shave.
Or you succumb to the bearded way....

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I can't even use a multi-blade razor, tried several and they all tug and pull so hard, I thought my face was getting ripped off. The DE razor is nearly friction-less.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
Update on shave creams and soaps:
Worked up a pretty nice and manly-fragrant lather with the Bay Rum soap the other day.

Today tried the more expensive Taylor's Old Bond Street Cream after watching a video that recommended using about an almond-size amount with the badger brush.
Result was disappointing. Not much of a lather, although the shave was as smooth and with possibly less of a burning feeling.
Several possible factors: Need more cream? Less burn because I did not make a 3-pass shave today? (In more of a hurry).
In addition, will report next on experience with Astra stainless steel blades next time. Have used the single Merkur blade that was provided with the 38C.
So far, pretty easy to use and acceptable shaves. Much cheaper that 5-blade Gillette cartridges, although I'd be a bit hypocritical if I were using Taylor's cream with these 15-cent blades, wouldn't I? :)

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Well I ordered some Feather DE Blades and i must say they are the very best i have used.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.