PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Around Halloween time I saw a pic of a pipe @georged posted and just couldn’t get it out of my head so I contacted the carver, our @doug535 with an idea. I really like the Peterson apple shape but didn’t want a copy, but something a little “chubbier” that says “apple”. So here is a chubby apple, all Doug Finlay with a super cool silver spigot and beautiful blast and stain, and a red amber stem that, to me, really complements his design. I’ve been holding off christening it - been in the garage a lot and that doesn’t really lend itself to truly enjoying a bowl, at least not one I want to spend quality time with. I’m in the basement, still working out the Christmas recipes and relaxing with a furry friend, and with a totally different pipe hopefully arriving today, this weekend seemed a perfect time to dive in. I’m dedicating this to aromatics and decided to have some Mac Baren Vanilla Roll Cake since I like it, am very familiar with it and have had too many holiday blends lately. Seemed a perfect fit - a little vanilla and apple. And it is a blend that had been kindly recommended to me by “Brobs” and though not around, I still remember helpful advice. The tin has been well aired, tobacco crispy and delicately fed to give me a fighting chance, haha.

I’m 1/3 into the bowl, and although I’m still novice-ish, I can declare without reservation this is hands down one of the best smoking pipes I own.

The craftsmanship is first rate, the button is terrific (Peterson should have him design their non-Plips), it fits me perfectly and this exceeds what we’re already pretty high expectations.

Don’t sleep on our forum member artisans! Here is a pic, he has better ones on his instagram page, if you are ever looking in there.

Thanks Doug!

1739C449-9A5E-4839-91D5-4B123748D96A.jpeg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Doug's technical execution is equal to the best I've ever seen. Full stop.

If you like his style, colors, finishes, and so forth, get 'em while you can. puffy

• Love
Reactions: HawkeyeLinus