PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
After 2 years of seriously looking for a Dunhill, I've lucked out twice in 1 month! It was the auctions we all look for: Poorly tagged, not the best photos, sellers not specializing in pipes. Both were won with "fire and forget" bids.The amount I paid for these combined are equal to my mid range Peterson!
The first is a 1994 Group 5 bent shell. Amazingly light for the size, it feels barely more heavy than a cob. Slim stem that feels good, although not the easiest to clench in my teeth. Smokes very dry and has made a great leap to become my new favorite. I think the bowl size/geometry is the reason it smokes so well, I'm going to try and find more pipes with this exact setup.
The second is a patent shell billiard with a number dating to WW2 (PATENT No 1341418/20) Deep blast with the classic dark red showing through. I've just gotten it today but I have a cold and painfully have to wait to try it! The bowl is fairly wide all the way to the bottom, the stem is in good condition as well. Weight is just as deceptively light as the other one.
To anyone on the fence about pursuing a Dunhill, the history of the brand, the blasts, the geometry definitely contribute to a great smoke. Would I pay anywhere close to the price of a new one for the experience? No. Can other brands deliver a smoke as good? Certainly. Just as other brands provide their own contribution to our enjoyment and hobby, so does Dunhill and if the price is right I would recommend adding one to your collection.
dunhills1-600x448.jpg

dunhill21-600x448.jpg

dunhills3-600x448.jpg

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Very nice score for you!
I only have one. A 1926 patent. I paid a whopping $10 for it at a antique mart.
I've posted it many times, but its just cool.

latbomber

May 10, 2013
Nice! There is something satisfying about a pipe that falls into your hands, they are always keepers.

May 31, 2012
Cool man cool!

:puffy:

Many congrats,

you really scored bigtime with the WW2 era shape 59 Shell, looks like a total stunner too,

those WW2 pipes are the rarest of the breed it seems.
Also I love those old tins, very nice.

Do you actively collect old empty tins?

Or are those old sealed ones you've bought?

Those old Squadron Leader tins seem to always fetch top dollar.
I agree with you 100% about what you say regarding Dunhill,

I once was a skeptic,

until I got one,

which threw me into a crazy White Spot fever!

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Wow Latbomber, that's like winning the lottery twice. In fact, hustle out and buy a lotto ticket right now! You're on a roll. Great score. Congrats.

latbomber

May 10, 2013
Thanks guys! and @misterlowercase, I'm always on the lookout for old tins, either at flea markets or online. The London mix and SL tins are empty but the emp,965, and ry are sealed. I think the 965 and the billiard will have a date soon :mrgreen:

May 31, 2012
Totally awesome!

Sealed 100g Royal Warrant real Dunhill tobacco!
No doubt about the 965 and the billiard matrimony!

:mrgreen:
I was lucky to smoke some old Murray's 965 and it was delightful,

I bet the stuff you got is pure manna!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Latbomber
Congrats to you!
I also believe that everyone should own at least one dunhill in their lifetime
I hope you enjoy these two

Status