Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 25, 2021
England
Yesterday when I was smoking Eric's Reserve I noticed something I have never noticed before. I was getting the usual nic hit from the Virginia and a different kind of nic hit from the black Cavendish. I found the effect rather strange. Have any of you guys experienced the same thing ?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
So far in life, I seem to be mostly nicotine resistant, notwithstanding a little excess now and then with a strong blend. The rest of the time, not much of buzz, and no craving when I lay off the pipe for a few days or a week. So the double decker buzz would be unknown territory to me.

Reactions: Grangerous

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
pipes aren't just about nicotine they're also about meditative calm and sense pleasure. My bet is that you had what people either call the sublime smoke or the zen smoke. That is the magical smoke where everything goes just right and you hit a state that psychologists call flow. It's a state of relaxed yet fixed attention. Something that while easy enough still requires undivided attention. I could be totally wrong but at least it makes more sense to me. That said tobacco isn't just nicotine it's got a lot of other drugs in it. Maybe you're reacting to one of those and maybe the type of tobacco had more of those other things.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I get no nicotine hits from any pipe tobacco. I used to get a bit of one from Peterson Irish Flake but no longer as I am now used to smoking it any time of the day or night.

Jun 25, 2021
England
pipes aren't just about nicotine they're also about meditative calm and sense pleasure. My bet is that you had what people either call the sublime smoke or the zen smoke. That is the magical smoke where everything goes just right and you hit a state that psychologists call flow. It's a state of relaxed yet fixed attention. Something that while easy enough still requires undivided attention. I could be totally wrong but at least it makes more sense to me. That said tobacco isn't just nicotine it's got a lot of other drugs in it. Maybe you're reacting to one of those and maybe the type of tobacco had more of those other things.
Thank you for your thoughts. I know that magical smoke well, it's something I am fortunate enough to experience on a quite regular basis, but this wasn't one of those times. I have smoked in one form or another since the age of 13, so I guess I know what a nicotine hit is. What I understood from it was an objective experience and not a subjective one.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Not with pipe. But with cigarettes, I normally have two hits with first smoke of the day. Usually the second pull gives first buzz. Next one comes around when I'm about done.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not with pipe. But with cigarettes, I normally have two hits with first smoke of the day. Usually the second pull gives first buzz. Next one comes around when I'm about done.
Yeah, pipe tobacco doesn't have nearly the nicotine to rival a cigarette.

Reactions: bullet08

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
In my opinion, I believe you *can* feel somewhat different effects from two different pipe tobaccos.... because nicotine is of course the primary psychoactive agent that can provide the “buzz” (or technically the “euphoria” effect), but so can CO2 and/or CO levels. When folks purposefully inhale smoke, this would be much more pronounced..... but in reality, even when not intending to inhale pipe smoke, some at least small amount of the smoke is inhaled.

The two different pipe tobaccos the OP mentioned have two different chemical makeups (be it from curing method, topping differences or whatever)..... so I suspect beyond the nicotine.... one has a noticeable difference in CO2 or CO production.... leading to the different feel of the smoking “buzz”.

Reactions: Morrison Jeremiah