PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Seems like that tobacco was too wet. However I don't ever think about it. Sometimes I'm really into the bowl, and smoke it till there's nothing left, sometimes there's tiny bits remaining. I don't care either way.

Starsman

Lurker
Mar 29, 2020
Thanks for all the replies. I have some ideas. I'll pack a lot less. The photo was after smoking for 90 minutes. I'm going to put some out this morning to dry more as well.

Reactions: Casual and jpmcwjr

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
There is no such thing as over/under smoking. When I'm done, I'm done.

That being said I often pack half a pipe depending on the blend or the amount of time I have. Wouldn't want to waste 5¢ of tobacco...

Hahaha I think about this almost daily. Even have a large bottle set aside for when I empty a bowl too soon or get bored with a particular blend. It fills up quickly and you would be surprised how good it tastes despite being a "Crazy George" mixture of blends.

Reactions: shanez

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Maybe I missed it, but are you smoking an aromatic blend? Looks like wet tobacco to me. I prefer far less dottle, or ash more often. You don't have any reason to live by my standards, however I'm guessing your tobacco is too wet for my tastes, and the cause of this.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Burning everything to white ash happens. However, I would not keep smoking if the taste goes sour or harsh. Yes, it is somewhat too much dottle in your photo, and you've gotten good advice on addressing that. However, a little dottle is irrelevant. Address the problem, then don't keep score by dottle. A little is fine.

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
I started putting a touch of Chatham Manor (to me: inexpensive and without powerful flavors) in the bottom of the bowl before stuffing with more expensive blends. Something about knowing that's done seemed to help me not think so much about wasting etc... Pitch it when it sours, I've had plenty of dottle like your pic. Reduce dottle worry however you can and listen to the others here about packing light and going slow.

Reactions: Casual

Kozeman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2020
Woodstock, Illinois
As a Sherlock Holmes fan I didn't know this. I love this.
From 'A Scandal in Bohemia':
"Sherlock Holmes was as I expected lounging about his sitting-room in his dressing gown reading the agony column of The
Times and smoking his before breakfast pipe which was composed of all the plugs and dottles left from his smokes of the day
before all carefully dried and collected on the corner of the mantelpiece."

Reactions: bnichols23

Kozeman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2020
Woodstock, Illinois
From 'A Scandal in Bohemia':
"Sherlock Holmes was as I expected lounging about his sitting-room in his dressing gown reading the agony column of The
Times and smoking his before breakfast pipe which was composed of all the plugs and dottles left from his smokes of the day
before all carefully dried and collected on the corner of the mantelpiece."
Actually I got that wrong.... It was from The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb.

• Haha
Reactions: bnichols23

jdb67

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2020
Albuquerque, NM
I'm with PipesRock. Read what he said above...then I will add that I try to make what I put in the bottom long strands that don't compress in on itself easily and try to build an air cushion there which is more forgiving of the column of tobacco getting compressed (tamping is a practiced thing I am still learning)...that air cushion helps my main plug stay burning. That throw-away dottle rarely burns anyway for me, so it does not impart any flavor and you enjoy your main tobacco all the way much easier. I also avoid relighting my pipe way down at the bottom. I have burned my mouth for sure trying to get that last bit lit again. Throwing out dottle is preferred for me over that any day.

Reactions: Starsman